How to improve lifespan of filter roller

wouterdu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I currently have a medium filter roller from bubble magus and while it’s doing it’s job i have to replace the roll every 2 weeks while i read online some can do months with their roll.

What actions can i do to improve the lifespan of a roll?
Do i look to get a larger unit that’s oversized or turn down the water valve (letting more water pass next to the filter).

The roll itself is quite dirty so it’s doing it’s job but i’ll soon go on holiday for 3 weeks so hoping to do a quick fix.

IMG_6533.jpeg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
considering it seems you have a filter roller and TWO skimmers. why not invest in a smarter reefs 2-in-1 skimmer/filter roller? you could have room for other things in the sump like UV, refugium, etc(if you don't have those already)

OP
OP
wouterdu

wouterdu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
considering it seems you have a filter roller and TWO skimmers. why not invest in a smarter reefs 2-in-1 skimmer/filter roller? you
could have room for other things in the sump like UV, refugium, etc(if you don't have those already)

Bit messy but this is my sump right now with the refugium in th emiddle, the uv is not on the picture but is below the alkatronic (although it's quite undersized)

i noticed the smarter reefs skimmer as well but since i got drains on the skimmers i was thinking more in the line of an oversized filter roller in the hopes of the roll lasting a huge time while still filtering "good"( or was even thinking of adding a 2nd roller matter and splitting the water between the 2 but i'm not sure if that'll prolonge the rolls and how i'm gonne fit that lol).

1724271324744.png

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been in the sump?
If your tank is fed really well it will have an effect on the roller.
It's doing the job as you can see by the color of the roll.
It may just take time for everything in the water column to cleaned so there is less to be filtered out.

OP
OP
wouterdu

wouterdu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank was moved 1 month ago so the roller filter has been +- 4 weeks active ( i replaced it new when it started did it after 2 weeks and today again).

i do feed with an autofeeder 4 times a day to prevent manual overfeeding ( it's almost instantly gone the second it hits the water).

OP
OP
wouterdu

wouterdu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less fish?

Sorry, that is blasphemy..
I'll see myself out..
while i’m thinking? It’s currently not overstocked i am more wondering if a larger unit would be a ‘solution’ as well. Not saying i want to add more fish but i do want to see them grow larger so their waste will only get worse (though corals will grow as well so hopefully they will filter a bit out as well)

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut flow rate or bigger filter roller. I use a Aqua Maxx medium, same as the bubble magus medium and I get 8-12 weeks per roll on a heavily stocked 120g with a 25g sump. Ime most reefers run a high as hell turnover rate and it's not needed.

OP
OP
wouterdu

wouterdu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips i’ll turn down the pump a bit i’m currebtly at 85% for a 10.000l pump (tank is around 600liters with sump in) so i guess i can lower it to 60% and still have 10x the volume ( though realisticly lets say 8 to 9)

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back