Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i had a loss of power for 4 days in this fallow tank a few months back in which i did not aerate the tank. I believe this might have caused my bacteria to change from aerobic to anaerobic and now i have almost no oxygen or high sulfur dioxide or something, i cant add any fish. Every one goes into this hypoxic like state and then i have to remove them.

I made another thread about this a little while ago and i think this might be the problem, see the video attached and you can see black clumps of decaying matter from i think hair algae? Either way, i cant seem to drive this down as im always finding more of these clumps even with increased flow and an added bubbler. I even added a clam for food (crustaceans seem to not mind high sulfur) and not even 2 days the surface touching the sand turned black.

Tl;dr how do i remove hydrogen sulfide from my tank.... 20230430_162449.jpg

Attachments

• 20230430_164138_1.mp4
    20 MB
CLICK TO VIEW

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Read and apply for the win

Written exactly for your situation

Top Shelf Aquatics

Garf

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i had a loss of power for 4 days in this fallow tank a few months back in which i did not aerate the tank. I believe this might have caused my bacteria to change from aerobic to anaerobic and now i have almost no oxygen or high sulfur dioxide or something, i cant add any fish. Every one goes into this hypoxic like state and then i have to remove them.

I made another thread about this a little while ago and i think this might be the problem, see the video attached and you can see black clumps of decaying matter from i think hair algae? Either way, i cant seem to drive this down as im always finding more of these clumps even with increased flow and an added bubbler. I even added a clam for food (crustaceans seem to not mind high sulfur) and not even 2 days the surface touching the sand turned black.

Tl;dr how do i remove hydrogen sulfide from my tank.... View attachment 3130713
Can you smell rotten eggs?

Garf

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, those black clumps smell of rotten eggs and the rocks themselves
If it were my tank, not knowing the strange chemistry that’s been going on, I’d start again with this tank, ditch everything. Maybe overkill though.

BRS
OP
OP
kingkai512

kingkai512

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were my tank, not knowing the strange chemistry that’s been going on, I’d start again with this tank, ditch everything. Maybe overkill though.
So thats what im kinda doing now, i removed the rock and its bleaching at the moment, and before that i replaced all the sand.

My concern is even after all that the bacteria thats making sulfur will still be there, even after a whole new sand bed its still creating black patches fairly quickly as seen in that clam pic above

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think one can readily remove existing precipitated metal sulfides (the black deposits), but removing decaying organic matter in some fashion will prevent ongoing production of problematic hydrogen sulfide. A thorough washing of the sand or replacement are both likely to work, IMO.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
kingkai512

kingkai512

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think one can readily remove existing precipitated metal sulfides (the black deposits), but removing decaying organic matter in some fashion will prevent ongoing production of problematic hydrogen sulfide. A thorough washing of the sand or replacement are both likely to work, IMO.
See thats exactly what i did, i replaced all the sand and those deposits still form. My theory is that during the storm outage all the aerobic bacteria died leaving only anaerobic bacteria. Now how can i increase my aerobic and decrease the anaerobic? Ive added a bubbler and maxed the light schedule to increase oxygen production and currently bleaching the rock just to be sure...

OP
OP
kingkai512

kingkai512

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i removed all of the sand and put new sand, however any organic matter that was reburied must have caused more growth, which i understand is normal but i think i have an abnormal amount....
I am reading a gfo reactor can help remove the sulfides so i am going to try that, i just hope eventually the bacteria can slow down..

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new sand was what exactly? The bottom was bare when you added it?

I'm not understanding how more hydrogen sulfide would be rapidly forming.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
JASON FOX SIGNATURE CORALS
Back