Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a gem and 3 yellow tangs a couple days ago from my LFS. The gem is very thick healthy looking, the yellows, are typical juvenile biotas, small, translucent and skinny. I currently have seaweed strips and a seaweed/nori strip holder, and frozen mysis and brine shrimp and Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef flakes and Hikari Marine-S pellets.

They’ve both been grazing over algae on the rockscape since being put in the tank. The yellows took to the flakes and mysis first day and still eat it. The gem didn’t care for flakes first day but ate the mysis. But now second day he is eating flakes also now. Haven’t tried pellets or brine yet. I’m assuming they’ll both go for the brine pretty easily.

But none of them are even noticing the seaweed/nori clip in the tank. Left it sit overnight in there to see if they’d notice it and eat any and still haven’t yet. I tried jiggling it around some to let some pieces float off the clip, putting my hand in the tank kind of startled them so they swam into their hiding spots, but then came back out, seemed to take some bites out of what was floating in the tank, but still not going after the clip.

Any suggestions? Concerned just because of how small and skinny the juvenile biota yellows are, and I’d like to get the gem picking at it to keep so thick and healthy looking as he is.
1C7D5004-3CFD-4C09-84BF-86160A01D2DD.jpeg
97249878-F0D3-44BE-8BF5-9E491FE4A4A0.jpeg
831FC598-E44B-4928-BBD1-480387CA7987.jpeg
D73BD689-545B-4385-8956-EC32BB9536EC.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep offering it, that is a must with tangs. When I initially offered, very little was eaten but once the PT started it was a fight at the clip daily with the YT.

World Wide Corals

bnord

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and note that non-eaten nori 2 days in the water can get fetid pretty quickly

as to the diet for the Biotas, I have 2 and they too subsisted on flakes - with algae in them - and they will eventually get around to the nori

good luck, gorgeous gem...

EugeneVan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept a power blue, power brown, Kole and blue tangs for over a year. I have try many many times with nori but they never show any interest. However they go crazy with chaeto. Now I grow chaeto in my sump for feeding my tangs. You can tell from my pictures, my tangs are very healthy and colorful too.

Attachments

• 20220307_190352.jpg
    20220307_190352.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20221011_192250 (1).jpg
    20221011_192250 (1).jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 20221011_191208.jpg
    20221011_191208.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 30
Avast

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I purchased a gem and 3 yellow tangs a couple days ago from my LFS. The gem is very thick healthy looking, the yellows, are typical juvenile biotas, small, translucent and skinny. I currently have seaweed strips and a seaweed/nori strip holder, and frozen mysis and brine shrimp and Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef flakes and Hikari Marine-S pellets.

They’ve both been grazing over algae on the rockscape since being put in the tank. The yellows took to the flakes and mysis first day and still eat it. The gem didn’t care for flakes first day but ate the mysis. But now second day he is eating flakes also now. Haven’t tried pellets or brine yet. I’m assuming they’ll both go for the brine pretty easily.

But none of them are even noticing the seaweed/nori clip in the tank. Left it sit overnight in there to see if they’d notice it and eat any and still haven’t yet. I tried jiggling it around some to let some pieces float off the clip, putting my hand in the tank kind of startled them so they swam into their hiding spots, but then came back out, seemed to take some bites out of what was floating in the tank, but still not going after the clip.

Any suggestions? Concerned just because of how small and skinny the juvenile biota yellows are, and I’d like to get the gem picking at it to keep so thick and healthy looking as he is.View attachment 2899852View attachment 2899853View attachment 2899854View attachment 2899855
Mine will devour a full sheet faster than I can get it in the tank. It may be the type you are offering especially if grocery store brand that is baked with additives. Look at ingredient list and you will know.
IU have 20 tangs and never had to get them to eat it- they dove in . I feed san fransisco bay brand and also ocean nutrition. Theyre not thrilled with julian Sprung version but eventually put it away.
Also add a little garlic extract to it. It is an attractant and helps with immunity health

1668470380191.png

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two tangs and a coral beauty, they eat three sheets of green and purple julian Sprung nori. 3 total a mix of each. Just give them time and they will probably get the hang of it.

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the replies guys! I’ll keep offering it daily and changing it out every day or day and a half until hopefully they find it. They devour brine shrimp like it’s nothing and take to the flakes really well, they eat the mysis too, but they seem to really love the brine.
As for what it is I’m using, seems like just some generic stuff. Has my LFS logo on the sticker of the package and just says premium seaweed sheets

Top Shelf Aquatics

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the replies guys! I’ll keep offering it daily and changing it out every day or day and a half until hopefully they find it. They devour brine shrimp like it’s nothing and take to the flakes really well, they eat the mysis too, but they seem to really love the brine.
As for what it is I’m using, seems like just some generic stuff. Has my LFS logo on the sticker of the package and just says premium seaweed sheets
Alway put in same place and maybe on bottom half of tank.

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alway put in same place and maybe on bottom half of tank.
So far I’ve been placing at about halfway up in my tank, about a 1/3rd over from the right side where it seems they have so far liked to be hanging out the most

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Besides nori-mysis and brine, what other foods are you offering ?

Idech

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kole tang took a while before it started eating nori. He ate it for many months but now he isn’t very much interested anymore. He likes to graze on the bottom and rocks more. He’ll eat a little then leave the rest. I always end up throwing out most of it.

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s up in my very first post. Ocean nutrition prime reef flakes, I have hikari marine s pellets I feed in my 75gallon tank also but haven’t tried feeding the pellets yet. Before the tangs, when I tried the pellets it seemed the pellets were just getting lost in the big tank without the clowns and cardinals ever seeing the pellets. Haven’t tried it yet with the tangs.

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Having many tangs, I keep a list and always recommend the following which you feed a couple already. Although they are herbivores, they need fats-vitamin and aminis which also prevent lateral line issues

-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Formula 2 flake and frozen
- Hikari veggie marine

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for stamina and immunity health

DarkReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't help you on the feeding front.
My blue tang, foxface, cleaner wrasse & yellow coris wrasse all love the stuff and a strip of it is usually gone within the hour.

Wanted to say awesome pics though, very clear. Hope your fish enjoy their new home!

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Zoanthids.com
Back