Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump is starting to get a build up of detritus. I've seen folks talk about vacuuming out the sump but my sump is only a few inches above the living room floor and I can't seem to get a vacuum started - how do I do this? Do I use a shop vac instead of a typical aquarium "gravel vac?"

Thanks!

Corals.com
Nutramar Foods

jenkinscrew2578

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the same bucket shopvac. I have to empty the bucket quite a few times and fills up fast but does the job. Pretty much its a small water change. Just turn off your equipment, scrape all the walls and baffles to remove anything growing, suck all the water and junk out, fill it back up with new saltwater and turn everything back on. :)

Top Shelf Aquatics

Gil03

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
make things easier on yourself and put a powerhead or two in your sump so no detritus is able to settle. You can also dose something like Remediation from AquaVitro to the sump which will help breakdown the detritus, I like to dose 1 inner capful of remediation once a week to the intake of my reactor that houses Matrix and it helps prevent detritus from building up between the media and on top of the plunger.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
make things easier on yourself and put a powerhead or two in your sump so no detritus is able to settle. You can also dose something like Remediation from AquaVitro to the sump which will help breakdown the detritus, I like to dose 1 inner capful of remediation once a week to the intake of my reactor that houses Matrix and it helps prevent detritus from building up between the media and on top of the plunger.
True, but I'd rather let the detritus settle in the sump. If it's not , it's back in the water and the display.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Gil03

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, but I'd rather let the detritus settle in the sump. If it's not , it's back in the water and the display.
You want the detritus in the water column as much as possible because then it has the opportunity to go into the overflow and into your mechanical filtration like a sock. Also you should aim to have good enough water flow in your DT so that detritus doesn't settle, if that can't be achieved then that's when you see people use things like turkey basters to blast water into the LR to get the detritus suspended into the water column and ideally eventually into your sock. Leaving the detritus to settle in your sump IMO is setting yourself up for failure because let's be honest generally speaking the cleaning out of a sump is something that isn't done nearly as often as changing/cleaning your mechanical filtration and the longer it sits at the bottom of your sump the more of an effect it will have on your water quality.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want the detritus in the water column as much as possible because then it has the opportunity to go into the overflow and into your mechanical filtration like a sock. Also you should aim to have good enough water flow in your DT so that detritus doesn't settle, if that can't be achieved then that's when you see people use things like turkey basters to blast water into the LR to get the detritus suspended into the water column and ideally eventually into your sock. Leaving the detritus to settle in your sump IMO is setting yourself up for failure because let's be honest generally speaking the cleaning out of a sump is something that isn't done nearly as often as changing/cleaning your mechanical filtration and the longer it sits at the bottom of your sump the more of an effect it will have on your water quality.
yes but your blowing it from the sump into the display and back into the sump again.
I agree, better filter socks.

Nutramar Foods

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past, once a year, I've pulled the sump out completely, and scrubbed it at the sink. Clean sponge, no soap, just water and elbow grease.

My new system, the sump will be well above floor level, and easily accessible. I _should_ be able to siphon fairly easily.

Scrappy RN

I'm your Huckleberry!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals.com
OP
OP
ThunderGoose

ThunderGoose

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider this device.

Yep, got one of those for my freshwater tank. But I drain that tank (120 gallons) out the window into the garden and just use the faucet attachment to refill the tank. Much better than hauling buckets when I'm doing 30% water changes!

AS
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Subscribe to ReefStache so you don't miss out!
Back