Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I got my first load of live rock from TBS a little over a week ago. Last night, I found this guy. I will be adding fish to the tank (transferring over from my current tank) so I need to figure out how to catch him. I look in this tank for hours a day and last night at 1 am is the first time I’ve ever seen him. Any advice on how to catch him?

6C852412-1C77-4551-B7CD-766C8263AB31.jpeg 8B9E7E24-BE0F-4C49-8F8D-D76F38F09E1B.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Nutramar Foods
CLICK TO VIEW

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These cute juvenile dwarf octopus are a popular hitchhiker this time of year. Adults relish live crabs and shrimp.
You should be able to easily net it at night as it is hunting about, as they are nocturnal.

IMG_8447.jpg

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew up on the water. We didn't catch them that small. But we used to used Beer Bottles with a string tied around the neck. Mickey's Big Mouth Bottles worked the best. Octopus loved the safety of a beer bottle cave.

Once they go in and curl up, just yank the bottle up byt the string.

Caught dozens this way.

If you need to bait the trap put some hermit crabs inside the bottom of the beer bottle.

Dave B

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
Top Shelf Aquatics

reeftivo

skim junkie
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s pretty awesome. Do you know if it actually is dangerous to fish?
yep bad news small fish, clams, crabs, snails and even each other

a dedicated octo tank is best . as mentioned they can get out of anything too.

super smart critters! i think they are Alien!!!!!!!! LOL

TinyReefObsession

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol you underestimate the intelligence of these animals. They can open jars and screw off bottlecaps from the inside
Yesss!!! I was at the Monterey Bay Aquarium and the docent was telling me about how fish kept mysteriously disappearing overnight, from one of the tanks in their classroom years back… i don’t remember how they figured it out, but apparently the octopus was sticking a tentacle out, unlatching it’s own tank, crawling out of the tank, down the table leg, across the floor, up the table leg, then opening and snacking on the fish in the tank! O.O It would then latch the fish tank, crawl down the table leg, across the floor, back up the table leg, into it’s own tank, latching it behind itself! LOL the water trail would be dry by the time the staff/ class showed up- so it took them ages to sort it out! Hahaha i love these guys!

AS

reeftivo

skim junkie
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesss!!! I was at the Monterey Bay Aquarium and the docent was telling me about how fish kept mysteriously disappearing overnight, from one of the tanks in their classroom years back… i don’t remember how they figured it out, but apparently the octopus was sticking a tentacle out, unlatching it’s own tank, crawling out of the tank, down the table leg, across the floor, up the table leg, then opening and snacking on the fish in the tank! O.O It would then latch the fish tank, crawl down the table leg, across the floor, back up the table leg, into it’s own tank, latching it behind itself! LOL the water trail would be dry by the time the staff/ class showed up- so it took them ages to sort it out! Hahaha i love these guys!
i'm telling you these guys are alien to this planet :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: They have 3 hearts for crying out loud!

Scary smart creatures

OP
OP
I

ImperialWookie

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool hitchhiker. You couldn't net it last night while you were taking photos :thinking-face:
I’ll be honest, I was half asleep (my dogs woke me up to go outside) when I saw him. I grabbed my work phone from the counter and took a few pictures and went back to bed. I wasn’t sure if they are good or bad for tanks so I didn’t want to catch him without more knowledge!

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol you underestimate the intelligence of these animals. They can open jars and screw off bottlecaps from the inside
I do not, and I didn't mean leave the bottle there for ever.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh well, I guess you have an octopus tank now. If I found a hitchhiker like that, I think that I'd keep it and set up a tank around it.

If you do want to get rid of it, you might have a rough time. They're about as smart as a human toddler, but with eight arms, good camouflage, and the ability to go hide in a tiny crevice in the rock. I'd try netting it out, I'm not sure if any traps that a person can figure out would work.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Legendary
Back