How to achieve a 'bright' tank without cooking the corals?

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I thought I'd start this thread to gather thoughts and opinions on lighting and how to achieve a bright tank that really 'pops' without cooking your corals.

For context - I've been running a Kessil A360X and 2 30" AI Blade Grows for the past few months with good success for the most part, but I've been struggling finding a good home for some of my Goni's with the light settings I prefer.

Just recently, I've lowered the lighting and want to see if some of these Goni's start to extend further but to me, it just looks so dull and subdued. I have this tank in my living room, so I prefer a nice mixed spectrum, plenty of blue but also some whites to bring in that brightness.

Part of what makes it difficult is I have various Goni's that thrive in completely different light settings. A lavender colony I have is literally inches from the top of the water, directly under my A360X at 100% peak brightness, and it is crazy extended. My other thriving Goni's are down at the bottom of my rock structures, they've grown a ton and extend great. I have some Bernardapora's fairly high up too, and they've been growing super strong. So, it's a struggle to find effective locations for all these Goni's considering the requirements seem so different from variant to variant, while trying to achieve the look I'm going for.

My tank is 95% LPS so it's a bit of a struggle to achieve that bright look, while also keeping the corals happy. So I wanted to ask here and see if there's any tips or tricks with setting up a lighting profile that can help bright out brightness, or any newer light technology that may help(I've heard Lime and Magenta LEDs can help lighting pop).

Anything goes!

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW here are my Goni under 400 par. I don't have wild extension since they're in a bare bottom high flow sps tank, but they're growing with good color. You can crank up the whites for a brighter look, slowly of course.

Attachments

• IMG_9546.jpeg
    IMG_9546.jpeg
    311.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0072.jpeg
    IMG_0072.jpeg
    390.8 KB · Views: 11

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back