How thick for the top layer to be on a DIY stand?

RedfishReefer

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am making a DIY stand and am wondering how thick I need the plywood on the top to be. Will 1/2 inch work if its supported on all four sides and is for a 10g tank? I also have a MDF board that I would use if you think it will wont break, its a half inch thick.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
Avast

minorhero

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is a rimmed aquarium then you do not need a top, the bottom piece of glass is floating anyway (it doesn't touch anything, only the black rim touches the stand). If this is a rimless tank then you need more then a 1/2" plywood if there are no middle braces. The glass bottom needs to be supported all the around and there should be a pad or Styrofoam a well.

workhz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only benefit on a rimmed aquarium would be to make sure the perimeter is in contact, and definitely not mdf. When I did my stand for my 90, I didn't use a top but went around and sanded the corners to make sure there were no high spots. Having a piece of plywood also make it easier to level and shim before putting the tank on.

On a 10g, none of it matters.

Top Shelf Aquatics

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For that small of an Aquarium, I wouldn't put a top on it, just another place to trap moisture. Also it nice to be able to inspect your gravel from underneath. Just do a perimeter. Possibly a Band Board, and Cable it to the wall, if you have small children.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Coral-vault.com
Back