How The Apex Saved My Tanks, From Myself.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I was woken up at 2 am last night to the sound of the emergency siren I installed on my Apex. I’ve been working 12 hour shifts, and popped open the window to the Reef Cave for some fresh air. It’s been getting pretty cold at night here as well. Apparently I forgot to close the window before I went to bed, and the 35 degree Fahrenheit air filled the room. After realizing that this wasn’t my alarm clock going off, I went downstairs and closed the window. Luckily I caught it early and the temps didn’t get too low yet. I’m very glad I installed that siren, as my phone is always on vibrate, and I sleep through regular notifications. The Apex saved a potentially devastating event to all five of my tanks. Lesson learned as well!

IMG_7139.jpeg
IMG_7140.jpeg

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may have saved you from a break-in, too. This will be my next tank upgrade!
This is in a basement with a small window up by the ceiling. It’d be about a 7’ fall onto my sps frag tank if someone tried to get in there. Lol!
My wife can’t reach the window, and I probably would’ve went to work without realizing my mistake without a controller. So I’m glad I chose to implement a loud buzzer as an emergency backup.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I was woken up at 2 am last night to the sound of the emergency siren I installed on my Apex. I’ve been working 12 hour shifts, and popped open the window to the Reef Cave for some fresh air. It’s been getting pretty cold at night here as well. Apparently I forgot to close the window before I went to bed, and the 35 degree Fahrenheit air filled the room. After realizing that this wasn’t my alarm clock going off, I went downstairs and closed the window. Luckily I caught it early and the temps didn’t get too low yet. I’m very glad I installed that siren, as my phone is always on vibrate, and I sleep through regular notifications. The Apex saved a potentially devastating event to all five of my tanks. Lesson learned as well!

IMG_7139.jpeg
IMG_7140.jpeg
I'm adding this to the list of reasons why I want an Apex! I'm glad your tanks are okay!

edsbeaker

Grandma Has A Reef Obsession
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad your tanks are OK. I have had an Apex for years and have never really used the alarms… too lazy to learn how to set them up, I guess. I think it’s time to look into that!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_7139.jpeg
IMG_7140.jpeg
Our tanks are in a less conditioned room, a 1.5 degree temp drop will kick in another 150 watts of heat, controlled by apex. And turn it off a degree above set point.
We are shooting for less attended (unattended?) control with the apex.
Glad you avoided catastrophe.

Thrillik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have an alarm that is louder than the out-of-the-box alarm that comes with an Apex? If that's the case, do you mind sharing what you're using and how you set it up?

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have an alarm that is louder than the out-of-the-box alarm that comes with an Apex? If that's the case, do you mind sharing what you're using and how you set it up?
Absolutely! I got this buzzer off of Amazon and wired it to the 24v one link accessory cable that Neptune offers.

DriSentri Car Back-up Alarm with... Amazon product

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad your alert and alarm went off without a hitch and saved your tanks, especially with the coral expo this weekend lol ;)

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back