Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, my apologies if this isn't the right place to post this question. I'm new to R2R so still learning how to navigate. I'm happy to repost somewhere else if that would be more appropriate.

On to my question: I haven't been active in the reef space for a while, but have previously had 5 tanks (2 reef) and worked at a store specializing in fish and other small animals. I'm looking to get back into it and have been watching Craigslist, OfferUp, FB Marketplace, etc. for used tanks and equipment. This morning I came across the system posted below. It's more tank than I was planning initially, but more in line with what I would want long term (read: more tank than my wife was willing to sign up for). My question is: what's a reasonable price to pay for this system? What questions would you want to ask before making that decision?

Snip 1.PNG Snip 2.PNG

Top Shelf Aquatics

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been listed? I'd probably offer like 1.5-4 grand depending on how much I really wanted it. I wish I had spend bigger on startup for an easier to work with system. Definitely no more than 50% of their financial investment though

BlingityBling

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving a tank like that is a PAIN...lol I'd find a friend or LFS to see if the livestock could be 'renting space' to make that move a lot less stressful. I'd assume you'll be doing all the labor, tear down, transport, setup again. There's an expense to consider and negotiate with along with expecting some attrition on the livestock.
It says running for 17 months but I'd want to know the age of everything. The older stuff was the less I'd be likely to pay. I'd also want to know condition... does the tank have any scratches? any lights dropped in the water? Don't laugh, bought a used light years ago from ebay and it had salt creep under the lense cover... never again lol.
I'm setting up a IM 200 so his 10K number is legit looking. I'd say What was your budget for your original plans? Offer him a bit below that for negotiating room as a starting point. Not sure I'd go over 5K for used though. it would have to be really nice in person... Also, your trading your freedom of choice for what he chose... so that's worth something as well... such as maybe you would have used a different brand return pump or lights.

BRS
AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Copepods
Back