How much frozen mysis should I be feeding my fish?

ZzyzxRiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my BioCube 16, I have two clownfish, a yellow watchman goby, and a red scooter blenny. All juveniles, no more than 8” max length between all of them. How much would you feed them?

Details:
I currently feed 1/4 to 1/3 cube of mysis a day (depends how accurate my ice chopping is). I feel like I’m probably overfeeding, but I’m not sure—the fish do a really good job eating almost everything I put in there.

Other details: I have a cleaner shrimp and a peppermint shrimp that also go after the mysis. My clean up crew consists of a trochus, 4 cerith, 2 astraea, a strawberry conch, and an emerald crab. I was gaining the upper hand on my GHA for a while (emerald crab FTW!) but recently the scale has tipped back the other way. Nitrates are consistently around 10-12.

pookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I turn off the system when I feed? The tank clears within a few minutes but I don’t know how much of it goes through the filter.
I personally do for my 90 gal because they are more calm and less aggressive to eachother but in my 20 I leave the wavemaker on but the return pump off. There's only 2 clowns and a 6 line wrasse in it. They like seeing their food move so that's why. If you have a button that turns on feed mode do that!!

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I turn off the system when I feed? The tank clears within a few minutes but I don’t know how much of it goes through the filter.
As others have said, I leave mine on as well. That way the food can float around in the tank and let all the fish get a chance at eating some

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I like to see my fish food gone within 10 seconds. If food is still floating around 30 seconds later it was too much food.

I feed a third of a cube to 3 tanks (18 fish), and sometimes I still throw some away. I feed this amount 3-4-5 times a day.

I leave the powerheads on, I agree the fish like to chase the food.

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, just pointing out that feeding only frozen mysis and nothing else is not very nutritional for the fish. They need a mix of foods, consider that pellet foods are packed with vitamins and nutrients the fish need, reef frenzy is one of the best frozen foods you can food your fish.

OP
OP
ZzyzxRiver

ZzyzxRiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, just pointing out that feeding only frozen mysis and nothing else is not very nutritional for the fish. They need a mix of foods, consider that pellet foods are packed with vitamins and nutrients the fish need, reef frenzy is one of the best frozen foods you can food your fish.
I’m glad you mentioned this, because I was wondering. I’ll look into pellets and reef frenzy— my current batch of mysis is almost done.

PotatoPig

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I like to see my fish food gone within 10 seconds. If food is still floating around 30 seconds later it was too much food.

I feed a third of a cube to 3 tanks (18 fish), and sometimes I still throw some away. I feed this amount 3-4-5 times a day.

I leave the powerheads on, I agree the fish like to chase the food.
What size cube?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back