How many tank mates for a snowflake eel in a 50 gal?

Nutramar

kmarine

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently setting up a 50 gal FOWLR tank and was thinking about getting a snowflake eel. I’ve done some research on which fish are compatible but I was wondering if there were any recommendations on what tank mates and how many would be appropriate for that size tank?

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
K

kmarine

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I currently have a aquamaxx1.5 hob skimmer and fluval c4 hob power filter. Was thinking about getting a maroon clown, fox face, and maybe two dwarf angelfish but wasn’t sure if that may be too crowded.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Cheese Griller

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I currently have a aquamaxx1.5 hob skimmer and fluval c4 hob power filter. Was thinking about getting a maroon clown, fox face, and maybe two dwarf angelfish but wasn’t sure if that may be too crowded.
At max I would do either a pair of maroons or a dwarf angel and maybe a few damsels if you're really set on having many fish. Maroons and dwarf angels can be super territorial, especially in a tank that size.

Sharkbait19

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw I wouldn’t put a snowflake in that size tank - they get a lot bigger than you’d think. They may be lazy, but imagine a 2+ foot fish in a tank that offers 3-4 feet maximum.
It would be better to get other eel like fish like a Midas blenny (and would make tankmates a lot easier).
Definitely only one angel for a 50 - they don’t like each other. Foxface gets too big and active.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would plan to add at least another hob filter for this tank, eels need lots of food, which means more mess. Prepare to change those filters at least once a week as well or they will start producing excess nitrates and also clog. foxface is too large for that tank, and you should only do 1 dwarf. I really think a 75-90 is better for 2 dwarfs.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
www.Riptideaquaculture.com
Back