View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!
I have a 45G AIO tank.
I have about 12 lps/soft corals and I have 5 fish.
An ocellaris pair, longnose hawkfish, banggai cardinal and midas blenny.

I want to add 4 more fish... but I am not sure if they will have enough space when they finish growing.
I would like to add a royal gramma, a diamond goby and a pair of mandarin dragonets.

Can a 45G tank provide a comfy home for 9 fish?
(I want to provide them with the best possible environment)

Thank you in advance!

Avast

NotReefsafe

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal Gramma is probably fine.

Diamond Goby: Read the article on sand sifting gobies under the "articles" tab. Short answer, don't add one- they will likely starve.

Mandarin pair: In your tank, these will likely get outcompeted for frozen and pellets, and not have enough live food. I say that because you have fish that will rush to eat what you put in before mandarins will. Mandarins take their time eating. Your tank is also on the small end to be able to support a mandarin on live food.

It is pushing the limit, but I think you could have 9 fish, its just the ones you have chosen are problematic. Alternatively, if you keep up with water changes and have plenty of hidden spaces, you could add neon cleaner gobies, a Tailspot blenny, a Biota court jester goby, or a pistol goby pair, among others.

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Diamond Goby: Read the article on sand sifting gobies under the "articles" tab. Short answer, don't add one- they will likely starve.

Mandarin pair: In your tank, these will likely get outcompeted for frozen and pellets, and not have enough live food. I say that because you have fish that will rush to eat what you put in before mandarins will. Mandarins take their time eating. Your tank is also on the small end to be able to support a mandarin on live food.

It is pushing the limit, but I think you could have 9 fish, its just the ones you have chosen are problematic. Alternatively, if you keep up with water changes and have plenty of hidden spaces, you could add neon cleaner gobies, a Tailspot blenny, a Biota court jester goby, or a pistol goby pair, among others.
Thank you for your thorough answer!

Corals.com

kevgib67

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your aquarium? I added my diamond goby after six months, it’s been over a year, fat and happy. It takes about 6 months to have enough Flora in the sand bed sustain it. That being said, mine out eats all my other fish when I put food in, its a pig. I don’t have mandarins but I know they need a substantial pod population. I know for a higher price, places like Biota sell captive breed mandarins that are eating frozen food. I agree you will be at your limit but doable with proper maintenance. I love my royal gramma.

JCM

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Take all of this advice, well said.

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your aquarium? I added my diamond goby after six months, it’s been over a year, fat and happy. It takes about 6 months to have enough Flora in the sand bed sustain it. That being said, mine out eats all my other fish when I put food in, its a pig. I don’t have mandarins but I know they need a substantial pod population. I know for a higher price, places like Biota sell captive breed mandarins that are eating frozen food. I agree you will be at your limit but doable with proper maintenance. I love my royal gramma.
Hi! Thank you!
My tank is 9 months old. And I am very thorough with maintenance.
I know I have copepods in the tank already.
And I am looking for a tank bred Dragonet pair, specifically because they will eat frozen foods already (and ethically I feel better, but that is for another conversation). But those come with a hefty price and they are hard to come by... so if ever I think I will still give it a shot...

The diamond goby and the royal gramma are so gorgeous... but I am waiting cause I don't want to over crowd my tank... and the dragonets are really our dream fish!

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back