How many Blue-Green Chromis can I keep in a 13.5gal QT ?

Nutramar

Psari

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I currently have a 47gal DT (90/45/45cm) with a pair of clownfish and I want to add 5 small chromis.
My QT setup is a 13.5gal Fluval Evo and I was wondering if it would be okay to add all 5 chromis for the 30day QT period which I will treat them with cupramine.

Thank you.

Corals.com

ARGYGANG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I currently have a 47gal DT (90/45/45cm) with a pair of clownfish and I want to add 5 small chromis.
My QT setup is a 13.5gal Fluval Evo and I was wondering if it would be okay to add all 5 chromis for the 30day QT period which I will treat them with cupramine.

Thank you.
if you upkeep the water parameters i dont see why not, i literally just had my entire tank wiped by a green chromis carrying velvet brook and parasites so you are def a smart man for qt them, im not very educated on the topic of copper but i would say treat the chromis very well to be sure they are safe, since they are basically a walking kim kardashian when it comes to diseases, from my experience atleast.

OP
OP
P

Psari

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you upkeep the water parameters i dont see why not, i literally just had my entire tank wiped by a green chromis carrying velvet brook and parasites so you are def a smart man for qt them, im not very educated on the topic of copper but i would say treat the chromis very well to be sure they are safe, since they are basically a walking kim kardashian when it comes to diseases, from my experience atleast.
Haha thank you for letting me know.
I've read that they eat a lot and I am at the moment cycling the QT just so that there is some form of bio filtration that can somewhat handle the ammonia produced in between the water changes

Avast

ARGYGANG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha thank you for letting me know.
I've read that they eat a lot and I am at the moment cycling the QT just so that there is some form of bio filtration that can somewhat handle the ammonia produced in between the water changes
yes they carry a nasty little parasite called uronema and there is no med to irradicate it from a tank, you cant even fallow it out, your only choice is to keep extremely healthy fish that can fend it off themselves or take apart and sterilize everything in your tank and start from scratch. they also have a extremely low survival rate from what ive read like 2/5 will live through qt 5/5 would be so lucky id be going to buy a lottery ticket same day. and yes its recommended to feed juvenile green chromies like you would a anthias so there bioload is much bigger than you would assume, and be aware they will slowly pick off the weakest one, then the next weakest and then the next until the strongest is the last one standing 9 times out of 10. they are damsels after all.

OP
OP
P

Psari

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes they carry a nasty little parasite called uronema and there is no med to irradicate it from a tank, you cant even fallow it out, your only choice is to keep extremely healthy fish that can fend it off themselves or take apart and sterilize everything in your tank and start from scratch. they also have a extremely low survival rate from what ive read like 2/5 will live through qt 5/5 would be so lucky id be going to buy a lottery ticket same day. and yes its recommended to feed juvenile green chromies like you would a anthias so there bioload is much bigger than you would assume, and be aware they will slowly pick off the weakest one, then the next weakest and then the next until the strongest is the last one standing 9 times out of 10. they are damsels after all.
Got you and I am still contemplating whether that's a good choice.
I love Bartlett's anthias but I can't find them anywhere in my local fish stores. I guess I will search even more because the more I research Chromis don't seem to be the right choice for me

BRS

ARGYGANG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Bartlett's anthias but I can't find them anywhere in my local fish stores. I guess I will search even more because the more I research Chromis don't seem to be the right choice for me
sorry i replied to the wrong post lol.

AS

ARGYGANG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also are you set on green chromis? they are just extremely risky to own if not done so with extreme caution. have you looked at yellow tail damsels? they are from the same family as green chromis around the same price and just slightly more aggressive, shouldnt be a issue with clowns though. they like to fight back lol. also bangaii cardinals and pajama cardinals are far more peaceful and a much safer option, stay smaller and are also really cool looking fish, pajamas will school bangaiis can go in mated pairs or a single one. just giving you ideas is all my friend :)

OP
OP
P

Psari

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry i replied to the wrong post lol.
Oh I was about to reply and that was very good advice.

Before entering the hobby I researched for like 5-6 months regarding everything basically that had to do with aquariums and I realise everyday how much more I have yet to learn.

Regarding the biofiltration, I have a very thick sand bed and like 3-4 litters of Matrix bio media in my filter so that I know I can keep my water parameters as good as possible even if I add more live stock down the line.

I have my DT running for about 1 year now without any lights or corals (just rock, sand and two clownfish) and I think it is time as I have gotten the money as well to start adding more and especially start my coral QT so that I can then transfer them to my DT as I will only get one light for the time being.
also are you set on green chromis? they are just extremely risky to own if not done so with extreme caution. have you looked at yellow tail damsels? they are from the same family as green chromis around the same price and just slightly more aggressive, shouldnt be a issue with clowns though. they like to fight back lol. also bangaii cardinals and pajama cardinals are far more peaceful and a much safer option, stay smaller and are also really cool looking fish, pajamas will school bangaiis can go in mated pairs or a single one. just giving you ideas is all my friend :)
At the moment I want to add for sure a cleaner wrasse as they swim a lot and are very cool to watch. I might add after that something else and that's it. I wanted a few fish that school and swim together so that there is something more to the tank that moves around :)

I love my clownish and I was thinking of just keeping them as well and maybe try to breed them in a year or two when they reach sexual maturity and keep some of the babies so that I have a clownfish only tank which are really cool as I've seen some people that have done it.

But until then I think I will add a cleaner wrasse, a royal grama and a black cap basslet

Nutramar Foods

ARGYGANG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I was about to reply and that was very good advice.

Before entering the hobby I researched for like 5-6 months regarding everything basically that had to do with aquariums and I realise everyday how much more I have yet to learn.

Regarding the biofiltration, I have a very thick sand bed and like 3-4 litters of Matrix bio media in my filter so that I know I can keep my water parameters as good as possible even if I add more live stock down the line.

I have my DT running for about 1 year now without any lights or corals (just rock, sand and two clownfish) and I think it is time as I have gotten the money as well to start adding more and especially start my coral QT so that I can then transfer them to my DT as I will only get one light for the time being.

At the moment I want to add for sure a cleaner wrasse as they swim a lot and are very cool to watch. I might add after that something else and that's it. I wanted a few fish that school and swim together so that there is something more to the tank that moves around :)

I love my clownish and I was thinking of just keeping them as well and maybe try to breed them in a year or two when they reach sexual maturity and keep some of the babies so that I have a clownfish only tank which are really cool as I've seen some people that have done it.

But until then I think I will add a cleaner wrasse, a royal grama and a black cap basslet
sounds way safer than adding green chromis lol, i just dont see a reason to risk it for a mid tier fish haha, the only thing they have going for them is schooling, and when they get big they just kill each other anyways until one remains, and as the clown only tank goes, it will work, in a 200+ gallon tank. sorry to be a party pooper lol. royal gramma are freaking sweet though, i love them, and magenta dotty backs. maybe one of my favorite fish.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had two or three chromis die due to uronema in my QT tank in the last year. I gave up on trying to have them. Read up on trying to treat them immediately as you put in the tank. I would say almost all LFS have uronema in their tanks so it is really a high probability that your fish will die from it.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 days ago I just got 7 and put them in my 40gallon coral QT. ($10 each. Ouch). Seemingly like clock work I lost 1-2 every 1-2 days and now I'm left with 2. They where fed heavy and still died. I would not get more than 2 bc they are notorious for dieing. Can't beat the way they school but wish I saved my money and got some damsels - which don't die as fast as chromis

BRS
OP
OP
P

Psari

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had two or three chromis die due to uronema in my QT tank in the last year. I gave up on trying to have them. Read up on trying to treat them immediately as you put in the tank. I would say almost all LFS have uronema in their tanks so it is really a high probability that your fish will die from it.
10 days ago I just got 7 and put them in my 40gallon coral QT. ($10 each. Ouch). Seemingly like clock work I lost 1-2 every 1-2 days and now I'm left with 2. They where fed heavy and still died. I would not get more than 2 bc they are notorious for dieing. Can't beat the way they school but wish I saved my money and got some damsels - which don't die as fast as chromis
Yeah the more I read about them the more I don't want them lol.
There are way cooler fish out there to choose from.
Also here in Greece we have the black version of that fish and they are literally everywhere out in the sea lol.

Rick's Reviews

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Thank you.

From my experience of adding 2 X chromis to my 45g 200 litre aquarium about 3 - 4 months ago.
Weirdly my chromis attitudes have changed in the last couple of weeks and one is chasing down the other.
From what I read/researched about these schooling fish.... 45g aquarium is deffenitly not big enough, also these guys are prone to some diesease that develops in later stages.

Honestly, if you have quarantine/ set up
You can only try your best :)

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 breeder with 4 fish of which one is a sapphire damsel. I would love to add more sapphire damsels but I am afraid they will kill each other off with more than one.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Champion Lighting & Supply
Back