Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question- how long does a new tank stay cycled without having bacteria food source added? I just finished cycling a tank, however I'll be leaving for a week long vacation. I won't be adding any livestock until I return. I would assume at some point the tank will lose its beneficial bacteria?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

MERKEY

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You will get various answers but your tank will be fine.

You can add a small amount of food or piece of shrimp before you leave so the bacteria has something to break-down while you're gone.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as water is in the system, a cycle cannot be starved in an open topped reef, in a home setting. dosing the tank with extra feed and nothing to eat or reduce it does no good. A starved cycle has never been demonstrated in reefing, not ever, its among the rumors that circulate online. Lab techs would giggle at the thought of water bacteria starving in a home, but bottle bac salesmen want us fearing the cycle starving so we stay on the hook for supports and refreshments

in fact, MSteven1 in Dr. Reefs bottle bac study, page 98-101 shows an unassisted cycle by sitting rocks in water and merely waiting four months, that’s inverse proof cycles cannot starve. They set in given only time, no direct feed or bottle bac needed.

AquaCave Logo Banner

MERKEY

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like I said...your tank will be fine.

"If it makes you feel personally better you can add a small amount of something for the bacteria to break down."

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back