How long did it take your clownfish to host your anemone?

BRS

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish and starfish lover!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want my little guys to host my anemone. I know some may and some may not. I was reading about things you can do to help persuade them to host it. The best being introduce the anemone first which didn’t happen for me. How long did it take yours to host? Did anyone try the photo method…where you put photos of clownfish in anemones around the tank? I know being captive bred they don’t always have the instinct either.

World Wide Corals

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had some fast like in a day or two and others that take a while maybe weeks. I think the best plan is just like most things in the Reef hobby BE PATIENT. Leave them alone and let them do what they want. I think most of these tricks you see are more harm than good and the fish would have hosted anyways. Trying to persude is just disturbing to the fish.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had some fast like in a day or two and others that take a while maybe weeks. I think the best plan is just like most things in the Reef hobby BE PATIENT. Leave them alone and let them do what they want. I think most of these tricks you see are more harm than good and the fish would have hosted anyways. Trying to persude is just disturbing to the fish.
Yeah I know some are stressful. And I have only had the anemone for like 2 weeks.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen a clown host an anemone.
Seen plenty of anemones hosting a clownfish though.

It can take a long time for an anemone to host a clown, sometimes the clown will never go anywhere near the anemone.
True lol.

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I really want my little guys to host my anemone. I know some may and some may not. I was reading about things you can do to help persuade them to host it. The best being introduce the anemone first which didn’t happen for me. How long did it take yours to host? Did anyone try the photo method…where you put photos of clownfish in anemones around the tank? I know being captive bred they don’t always have the instinct either.
Anemone is host and clown is guest but I get it (LOL). As you know, it is a symbiotic relationship that brings them together. Like us humans getting a first date with the other, its a matter when the two agree to bond. You will get many answers based on self experience.
Ive had some bond day one and in my current tank, I have 4 bonded pair of clowns and they loved their anemones. When I moved July 2021 and set the tank back up, they wont go near the anemones. Strange but it works.

Petcrazyson

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen a clown host an anemone.
Seen plenty of anemones hosting a clownfish though.

It can take a long time for an anemone to host a clown, sometimes the clown will never go anywhere near the anemone.
To be honest I’ve never seen a clown host an anemone I don’t even think the worlds smallest clown could fit in an anemone :grinning-squinting-face:

mwil79

Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a bta in my tank for a year and my clowns paid no attention to it. Eventually moved that bta out and just recently got a bunch of new ones. About 15 minutes after putting one in my tank my red sea clown was hosting it, this was a different clown from the original so it's very hit or miss.

IL-Reef-A4

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had success once introducing the anemone after my clownfish had paired up. However, 3 months or so later the anemone moved to another part of the tank and the clownfish did not move with it. Later on the anemone died.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought two clowns that were already paired with an anemone, but the larger one only wanted to make sure no other clown was in it even if she doesn't go in herself. I separated her and got another clown and the new one was instantly in.
Territorial much lol?

Samz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took months for our clowns to go anywhere near the anemones, but once they started they rarely stray too far away from them. I don't have enough experience to know if that is normal or why it took so long but watching them disappear into a bunch of bubble tips is pretty cool imo.

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns ignore my BTA in favor of the ATO sensor, the powerhead, and most recently my duncan (much to the Duncan's displeasure). Meanwhile my RBTA is happily waving at them from her corner of the world. :shrug:

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Maroon Clownfish that seem to easily be hosted by any anemome I have placed in my tank. I think thats the nature of that particular species of clownfish
I did see one at the pet store snuggling one. It was so cute!

eadsziedoesit

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a year and a half for me. I alway fed only above my nem and then one day I think they figured out that’s where the food will go

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
First Choice
Back