Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, a friend of mine, who has a incredible sps dominated tank had some acropora that he was gonna throw out because he didn't have any room, and he couldn't sell it. So I asked him if I could have it and he gave it to me.
I'm a noob with a 20 gallon long tank, it has a protein skimmer and a Aquaclear Hob filter, and about 15 lbs of rock, 1/2 of which is live rock. The tank has been running for 6 months and currently stocks zoas, hammers and torches successfully. I have no doser and dose reef complete biweekly. the light is good except the white lighting doesn't work and I have to use regular white leds, cuz I can't afford a new light yet.

So, keeping in mind how hard it is to keep acropora, how long do you think I will be able to keep it alive. I know fully well it isn't going to survive, but it would die anyway, I take it more like a challenge, to keep this alive for as long possible.

Top Shelf Aquatics

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, not really providing any info there.. You'll want to monitor your alk/ca/mg levels as that's what's in play now. Do you do that? As I said there are a number of other factors but those are the big ones now, along with nutrients like N and P... not sure how in depth you wanna go here :)

Edit: I only mention your friend as being able to see your tank in person they can probably provide really customized advice for you to increase your chance of success

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn’t be that hard of you can keep a torch.. they both require about the same amount of care.. I think Sps got a bad name and everyone got scared because bringing in wild colonies the survival rate isn’t the greatest.. any piece that’s aquacultured is pretty easy to grow in our captive systems.

OP
OP
M

Mackey

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry kinda rushed to write that, I check my Calcium once every 1-2 weeks, but I haven't really checked my Mg/Alk, I probably will be starting though. I was using acropora to help me get better at testing.

BRS

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry kinda rushed to write that, I check my Calcium once every 1-2 weeks, but I haven't really checked my Mg/Alk, I probably will be starting though. I was using acropora to help me get better at testing.
Alk will always be the most important thing to test for and keep as stable as possible..

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your enemy in a 20g with anything is that it imbalances very quickly ime so long term success is hard with acro in such small tanks, but certainly can be done esp with tank grown material. I had two notable successful mini colonies in a 20 long using two part and weekly WC.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
You can do it!!!!!

That being said what light is it that you have?

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back