Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Planning on building an auto water change setup. Part of it includes a 55gal salt RO reservoir. How long can salt ro sit?

I will put a circulation pump in there to keep it flowing, and it will be sealed. But does salt ro ever go bad? It will be kept out of light in the basement, prob 60ish degrees. Will my salt RO ever cycle? will things grow in there? is there a time limit on how long it can sit?

Is this a crazy train of thought?

48756164-4B9A-4219-95C9-130667E39426.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
BRS

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there a limit to how long it can sit though? do you store salt ro with no issues?
First, is it RO water or saltwater?

There is a BRS TV episode about how long different brands of mixed SW can be stored.

No, it will not "cycle".

OP
OP
VSVP bet

VSVP bet

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, is it RO water or saltwater?

There is a BRS TV episode about how long different brands of mixed SW can be stored.

No, it will not "cycle".
Ill have to find that video.

It will be both. Ideally, have one barrel of straight RO water, then a second barrel of RO mixed with salt.

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Its will be both. Ideally have one barrel of straight RO water, then a second barrel of RO mixed with salt.
I use instant ocean reef crystals and have stored mixed water for several weeks... Just be sure you cover the container to prevent too much evap, and recirculate and retest the salinity before you use it.

I also store RODI water indefinitely in sealed/covered containers.

For both, you want to prevent any chemicals from entering the water... cleaning sprays, air fresheners, etc.

Avast
OP
OP
VSVP bet

VSVP bet

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use instant ocean reef crystals and have stored mixed water for several weeks... Just be sure you cover the container to prevent too much evap, and recirculate and retest the salinity before you use it.

I also store RODI water indefinitely in sealed/covered containers.

For both, you want to prevent any chemicals from entering the water... cleaning sprays, air fresheners, etc.
do you have a link to the BRSTV video? I couldnt find it. Whats the longest youd store salt water?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have a link to the BRSTV video? I couldnt find it. Whats the longest youd store salt water?
Sorry, I'm not going to search for you. And idk, a month or 2 for salt, indefinitely for fresh?

mrpontiac80

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Its will be both. Ideally have one barrel of straight RO water, then a second barrel of RO mixed with salt.
That’s what I have. My RODI is hooked into one barrel with a float shutoff and the other is mixed saltwater. I have a small power head near the bottom of of my saltwater barrel that keeps a little flow. When I mix salt I drop a sicce ultra zero utility pump in the bottom with no hose attached and it turns the water big time while mixing.
The RO water barrel is just that. Nothing more. I used to mix a full barrel of saltwater and it would sit heated at 78 degrees with that little power head for a 2-4 weeks. I’ve never had an issue but I use Fritz brand salt.
I did add some cool 5 gallon bucket screw on lids to the tops of the barrels so I could get in there as mine were all one piece barrels.
image.jpg

CLICK TO VIEW

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally googled "store mixed saltwater" and it's the first result.
(And no, I won't post the link)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I store up to two weeks and convinced I can go longer . I assure temp is equal to display tank prior to use

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
VSVP bet

VSVP bet

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I store up to two weeks and convinced I can go longer . I assure temp is equal to display tank prior to use
I do a water change once a month around 25 gallons each time, so it wouldn't sit for too long and would be re-mixed then as the container is 55 gallons, thanks.

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically it all depends on the salt. Salts with elevated alk, calcium, mag, and such may result in some precipitation. You would want to avoid the higher alk salts (such as those with 10KH and up

OP
OP
VSVP bet

VSVP bet

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the BRS video was helpful. I use reef crystals. Seems like I shouldn't have an issue storing saltwater long(ish) term with no heater or circulation so long as my container is sealed.

Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 10.25.11 PM.png Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 10.28.41 PM.png

Vid Links:
(BRSTV test w/ no heat or circulation)
(BRSTV test w/ heat and circulation)
(BRSTV on precipitate in long term storage)

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Red_Beard

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have stored regular instant ocean unheated with no power head (after it has been mixing for a few days with one) for 6 months. No issues. Alk is good, no crazy precipitation, i just kick the pump on for a bit to churn it up a bit before using and it is good to go. One thing to watch for is salt mix with aminos in it. Don't store that, it will go bad. Reef crystals should be fine for a while though. RO can store indefinitely, but be aware that pure water gets hungry and will pull in anything it can get, pollutants/ minerals/ metals whatever. Dont use brass or metal fittings with it and keep it sealed and you are golden. Good luck.

OP
OP
VSVP bet

VSVP bet

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have stored regular instant ocean unheated with no power head (after it has been mixing for a few days with one) for 6 months. No issues. Alk is good, no crazy precipitation, i just kick the pump on for a bit to churn it up a bit before using and it is good to go. One thing to watch for is salt mix with aminos in it. Don't store that, it will go bad. Reef crystals should be fine for a while though. RO can store indefinitely, but be aware that pure water gets hungry and will pull in anything it can get, pollutants/ minerals/ metals whatever. Dont use brass or metal fittings with it and keep it sealed and you are golden. Good luck.
great, thanks.

AS

Red_Beard

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What in the world does this even mean??

Means that ro water will dissolve brass and absorb the copper and zinc ions over time. 0 TDS water does not like to be 0 TDS and will, given most any soluable media not remain 0 TDS. So keep the lid on or it will leech particulate from atmosphere and be careful what material you use for storage/transport.

From an industrial standpoint i have seen big ro systems literally eat brass fittings to nothing as well as some lesser quality stainless steel, always use plastic :)

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

NYOS
Back