How long can corals stay in a bag / Tupperware?

BRS

cdw79

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about trying to attend a coral show while I'm visiting family in a few months. The potential problem is that the show starts at around 11 am that Saturday, but I was going to try and stay for a family member's birthday Sunday morning the following morning and take off around 2 ish potentially. I'd probably be able to make it home by 6 or so Sunday. How long could I reasonably keep corals in either a bag or Tupperware (assuming they are kept in a climate-controlled environment)? My plan would be to carry them on too. I'd like to not take any unreasonable risks, but would love to be able to potentially shop around if it would be feasible / not be a huge risk for the coral.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about trying to attend a coral show while I'm visiting family in a few months. The potential problem is that the show starts at around 11 am that Saturday, but I was going to try and stay for a family member's birthday Sunday morning the following morning and take off around 2 ish potentially. I'd probably be able to make it home by 6 or so Sunday. How long could I reasonably keep corals in either a bag or Tupperware (assuming they are kept in a climate-controlled environment)? My plan would be to carry them on too. I'd like to not take any unreasonable risks, but would love to be able to potentially shop around if it would be feasible / not be a huge risk for the coral.
About 24 hours. Acropora is sensitive, perhaps less. On rare occasions.... I've seen corals survive 2 day shipping. But, that's not a total of 48 hours.
Depends on the corals.. if you had some extra salt water in a cooler with a air stone you’d prolly be golden without any issues.. I just moved a large tank and had the rock out of the tank for 7 hours and the encrusted Sps on the rocks which felt dry was still alive and flourishing the minute the water hit! Crazy but it’s true lol..

Attachments

• 0D849F20-9840-42B4-B9E9-318700502A18.jpeg
    0D849F20-9840-42B4-B9E9-318700502A18.jpeg
    187.9 KB · Views: 11
  • B4463960-5931-415C-A1F2-F4ED2ED80334.jpeg
    B4463960-5931-415C-A1F2-F4ED2ED80334.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 10
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
C

cdw79

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess part of what I'm wondering is if that survivability time would/could be extended if they're in a climate-controlled environment with access to fresh oxygen up until I need to pack them for the plane trip. I wouldn't really have any water circulation (though maybe I could bring an airstone and pick up some water from an LFS to stick in a cooler) but not sure if them just hanging out in Tupperware / going the cooler route I mentioned would extend that survivability time. If not I can just change my plans!

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with troylee here. I would just bring a bucket, small heater, and a airpump/stone with you. Better to err on the side of caution

edit: thought it was a road trip, not a flight. Honestly its too much of a pita to deal with corals when on a trip for me. I would rather skip the shows and pay slightly more money at home for the corals than deal with the stress of trying to keep corals alive tbh.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's plenty of people who packnup coral for show and sell. Perhaps one will chime in and give you some pointers.
For the most part they will ship in their coral to someone in the city that they know and fly out to pick them up for the show.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Easy 24 hours and if packed well with oxygen, easy 24 hours
When corals are shipped it, generally in bags 18-24 hours

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Atherial

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't be able to take them as a carry on, that's too much water. The security people will not be sympathetic. So you'll have to pack them well enough to deal with the airport luggage people and the non-climate controlled luggage area.

OP
OP
C

cdw79

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't be able to take them as a carry on, that's too much water. The security people will not be sympathetic. So you'll have to pack them well enough to deal with the airport luggage people and the non-climate controlled luggage area.
No issue with water, done it many times. They just tend to swab the container or sometimes test the water. I took two Tupperware containers worth of water in my flight this past weekend for some maricultured SPS without issue. I think it's actually against TSA policy nowadays to pack them in a checked bag as opposed to carrying them on

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AAF
Back