Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so I got two yellowtail Damsels for a 15gallong cube AIO 3 days ago and they've been hiding for the most part. I sometimes see them out I'm not close to the tank and I saw them in camera when I setup a time lapse. Just curious when they will stop darting back into the rocks when someone comes close to the tank ?

Nutramar Foods

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, it takes about a week for a fish to figure out that you are the source of food, from that point on they will trust you.

My wife and son and visitors still can't get close to the tank without every fish bolting away.

OP
OP
Shawaiz_106

Shawaiz_106

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, it takes about a week for a fish to figure out that you are the source of food, from that point on they will trust you.

My wife and son and visitors still can't get close to the tank without every fish bolting away.
Ahh right, my tank is in a highish traffic area so that explains why I bearly see them out lol

Top Shelf Aquatics

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they figure out you are the food god. I think it’s amazing they can tell different people apart. Another oddity, my Clownfish, wouldn’t host on an Anemone. Contractors, were doing work in the basement, and were constantly passing by the Aquarium. That’s when the Clownfish, decided to host the Anemone.

Corals.com
Top Shelf Aquatics

Mark Goode

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you insure it's eating and stuff ??. I haven't seen them eat yet aswell, I fed them twice so far and walked away so hopefully they can come out.
Like you, I just have to drop food in the tank and then back away to the far side of the room. He feeds well, he's just scared of his own shadow.

OP
OP
Shawaiz_106

Shawaiz_106

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A weird thing I just noticed, the smaller yellowtail swim inside my powerhead ( I have it turned off until they get used to the new tank ) and is now hiding inside the powerhead . Should I remove the powerhead for now after he comes out incase someone turns it on without checking

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like there may be a territorial dispute going on. How much aquascape do you have, and does it have enough hiding spaces?

I'd set up a remote camera so that you can see what's going on in this tank when you're not there. My fish tended to hide when their tanks were more bare; they were emboldened when I gave them new places to hide. Even adding fast-growing macro or, ugh, Kenya Trees can lessen stress by providing visual barriers to other fish.

Nutramar Foods

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah IME it really depends on the fish. I am probably biased, but it seems like it goes kinda like this:

The dumbest fish trust you immediately (example most nano fish)

The fairly smart fish take a really long time to warm up to you (example some blennies, tangs, rabbitfish)

The smartest fish trust you immediately (example puffers, angels)

Obviously speaking in generalities here and every fish is different!

OP
OP
Shawaiz_106

Shawaiz_106

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like there may be a territorial dispute going on. How much aquascape do you have, and does it have enough hiding spaces?

I'd set up a remote camera so that you can see what's going on in this tank when you're not there. My fish tended to hide when their tanks were more bare; they were emboldened when I gave them new places to hide. Even adding fast-growing macro or, ugh, Kenya Trees can lessen stress by providing visual barriers to other fish.
haven't seen any, its just them two and from the camera i did set up, its just them swiming around the rockwork going in and out etc. Seem happy, and a few hours ago i approached the tank very slowly and they didn't get scared as long as i didnt move. Slightest movement and they dart back into the rockwork and wait for me to leave and then come out.

Also i ended up removing the powerhead for now atleast after i read about some fish being inside the powerhead when its off and being sliced up when turned on.

They seemed to be coming out more after i removed the powerhead aswell

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi, so I got two yellowtail Damsels for a 15gallong cube AIO 3 days ago and they've been hiding for the most part. I sometimes see them out I'm not close to the tank and I saw them in camera when I setup a time lapse. Just curious when they will stop darting back into the rocks when someone comes close to the tank ?
2 days to 2 months.
Marine betta- 2 months

OP
OP
Shawaiz_106

Shawaiz_106

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah IME it really depends on the fish. I am probably biased, but it seems like it goes kinda like this:

The dumbest fish trust you immediately (example most nano fish)

The fairly smart fish take a really long time to warm up to you (example some blennies, tangs, rabbitfish)

The smartest fish trust you immediately (example puffers, angels)

Obviously speaking in generalities here and every fish is different!
hmm, yeah. The clown I had before never hid so this was just kinda new lol.

Cichlid Dad

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that sucks, since those two are the only fish in my tank : (. And since they're damsels you can't really add any other fish without possible aggression.
That is not true, I started with a clown, then yellow tail damsel, regal damsel, tail spot blenny, yellow wrasse, then powder brown tang in that order. Never had an issue. The yellow tail will misty just defend his area around the hole he makes his home.

OP
OP
Shawaiz_106

Shawaiz_106

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not true, I started with a clown, then yellow tail damsel, regal damsel, tail spot blenny, yellow wrasse, then powder brown tang in that order. Never had an issue. The yellow tail will misty just defend his area around the hole he makes his home.
What size is your tank ?, my tank is a 15g cube so space is limited. Maybe theyll leave a goby + shrimp pair alone but they hide most of the time too right ?

Nemo&Friends

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they do not hide when you approach the tank slowly, they will get used to you, and realize that you feed them. If they have good hiding places, they will feel more secure, knowing they can hide if need be, and they will be more and more out.
But yes, it depends of the fish.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
www.Riptideaquaculture.com
Back