Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, is this a bubble tip? He survived the phosphate crash, and was part of the 2nd rescue tank. Two clowns were with him, all fish in QT now. One of those clowns died.
(white spots appeared on some fish, some died a few days later, some in QT, dosing Cupramine)

So it's been about 10 days since the QT tank and this anemone is on his own. I've been feeding him bits of frozen fish food more or less daily when feeding the fish in the QT.
(using a different plunger to not get copper in main tank)

So how healthy is he? He seems rather bleached, I'd venture to say he was whiter a week ago.
So many of his "legs" are wilted. But he gladly takes in mysis shrimps & bits of scalop from Reef Frenzy frozen.

Would going to a fish market to get fresh tuna or some other dark meat ocean fish help? Octopus chunks? Fed raw of course.

anemone 1.jpg
anemone 3.jpg
anemone 2.jpg

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Mark Derail

Mark Derail

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In contrast, check out this small dude I bought a week ago, he's definately bigger after a week. Beautiful colours and awesome under blue lights at night.
I have two surviving clowns. The adult size one was with the big white-ish anemone. Perhaps the junior one will like the the smaller one.
Previously the big clown would shoo away the smaller one.

small anemone.jpg
small anemone 2.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look fine to me, Mine look the same
IMG_4995.JPG

Top Shelf Aquatics

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The color is a bit bleached but they are amazing at recovering IME just get you water conditions under control and it should recover. Don't do big meals, especially when stressed. I have found a few bits of mysis, generally whatever my fish don't get, work great. I never specifically feed my nems. 20171012_220826.jpg20171021_183039.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mark Derail

Mark Derail

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look fine to me, Mine look the same

What treats do you feed him? Since mine is about the same size, is it better small things daily, or a once per week, one inch cube of fresh tuna? Or an entire raw shelled shrimp? (regular size)

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

jsker

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What treats do you feed him? Since mine is about the same size, is it better small things daily, or a once per week, one inch cube of fresh tuna? Or an entire raw shelled shrimp? (regular size)
Poutine:D:D:D

I feed them a piece of raw table shrimp, small cube of fish once a week. I also broadcast feed frozen twice a day, and the clown will drag over some of the bigger pieces into the anemones. I have cut back on feeding since they have grown so much.

jsker

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might need to scuba dive at Tadoussac to find me an Anénome Québecois - as long as it doesn't try to separate too often. ;)

Kind of the reason I slowed down on the feeding. I could not keep one alive for the life of me, then now I have two health nems and one is from a split.

Last edited:
BRS
OP
OP
Mark Derail

Mark Derail

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask what the phosphate crash the you reference is? It's been mentioned a couple of times.

About two weeks ago, I bought a second "rescue" tank, and put everything together. The 2nd tank had 5 fish, the original 5 fish. I now have a grand total of 5 fish after having bought three. That bad.

Anyhow, I added everything together (extra rocks, extra fish, extra anemone - the big one) some rocks in the sump, and a lot in the main. The main is a 50g 48x12x20h.
Sump is 48x18x18h and a little more than half. So about 90g total water - minus the rocks volume.

Two days into this marriage, things started to go downhill. Some fish with white spots in their fins / flukes. All I had, test kit was, was ammonia / nitrite / nitrate, and they didn't register anything way off. However, all the new SW was made from tap water. And I was doing 50% WC every second day, knowing that I would have high nutrients and poop.

It's only when bleaching was starting, and I joined this forum looking at similar cases, that I went to buy a Salifert phosphate test kit. It was beyond 1.0 ppm !!
About then, I saw the benefit of RODI water, and the guy I bought the 2nd rescue from, called me up to say he was selling everything SW except the tank.
So I got his RODI (was freshly filter changed) - he had already sold his GFO, but I bought two bottles of Phosban, and used filter bags in the sump baffles.

I QT'ed all the fish, then did a 300% WC with RODI over three days, and on the fourth the phosphate finally started being below 0.10 ppm. Did daily 50% WC with RODI, and 10 days later, everything under control.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About two weeks ago, I bought a second "rescue" tank, and put everything together. The 2nd tank had 5 fish, the original 5 fish. I now have a grand total of 5 fish after having bought three. That bad.

Anyhow, I added everything together (extra rocks, extra fish, extra anemone - the big one) some rocks in the sump, and a lot in the main. The main is a 50g 48x12x20h.
Sump is 48x18x18h and a little more than half. So about 90g total water - minus the rocks volume.

Two days into this marriage, things started to go downhill. Some fish with white spots in their fins / flukes. All I had, test kit was, was ammonia / nitrite / nitrate, and they didn't register anything way off. However, all the new SW was made from tap water. And I was doing 50% WC every second day, knowing that I would have high nutrients and poop.

It's only when bleaching was starting, and I joined this forum looking at similar cases, that I went to buy a Salifert phosphate test kit. It was beyond 1.0 ppm !!
About then, I saw the benefit of RODI water, and the guy I bought the 2nd rescue from, called me up to say he was selling everything SW except the tank.
So I got his RODI (was freshly filter changed) - he had already sold his GFO, but I bought two bottles of Phosban, and used filter bags in the sump baffles.

I QT'ed all the fish, then did a 300% WC with RODI over three days, and on the fourth the phosphate finally started being below 0.10 ppm. Did daily 50% WC with RODI, and 10 days later, everything under control.
You must have an incredible amount of po4 in your water for that to have worked. That's crazy.

Although imo , it maybnit have been a po4 crash tecniclally. Too much stuff in the water to ever know. Plus a huge addition of rock and bacteria and viruses and organics not to forget ammonia that were introduced rapidly , not to mention the chemical warfare that may have played out introducing that many new corals all at once.
A fwiw carbon and purigen are go to for that kind of stuff.

Glad that it all worked out though.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
Mark Derail

Mark Derail

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Salty.

Ya it worked out, nothing like massive WCs to reset things.

Had I known better, I would have put live rocks with corals to keep in a QT tank, fish in a QT tank, and the first rescue, stabilized, introduce gradually.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Salty.

Ya it worked out, nothing like massive WCs to reset things.

Had I known better, I would have put live rocks with corals to keep in a QT tank, fish in a QT tank, and the first rescue, stabilized, introduce gradually.
It happens. Live and learn. Best of luck with it.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Biota Marine Life
Back