How feasible is adding a sump to an existing tank?

AI Hydra

blueberryblue

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I have an established 40g breeder tank with fish and corals already in it. I have no experience plumbing and was wondering if it’d be possible to add a sump for under 200$? What would the process be like? I’ve searched the internet on this topic but honestly a lot of the resources have been confusing to me. if anyone could elaborate on this process and if it’s feasible for someone with a budget like me,no experience with sumps, and with an established tank.
Thanks so much for any help!

Nutramar Foods
Nutramar Foods

PotatoPig

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Provided you have a place to put it….

Most economical option would be a DIY sump with a 20L picked up on a Petco half price sale and some glass baffles from your local glass store, using pure silicone.

The tank itself should cost about $25 and another $30-50 for the baffles and silicone.

Flexible pvc tubing is going to be the most economical plumbing, and easiest, but won’t look fancy. And you get to see the gunk that builds up on the plumbing… this will run you another ~$30 or so.

Pump, overflows, and brackets for your socks are going to be, by far, the most expensive parts. TBH - I don’t think it’ll be possible to buy these (if you don’t already have them) for under $200

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A reliable HOB overflow will probably be your biggest expense. A cheap tank from petco when they have their sale, and a return pump. Definitely doable, i dont think drilling would be an option
I agree, between cost of drill bit, cost of plumbing parts. . . risk of breaking the tank. . . I think HOB makes the most sense in this situation.

Nutramar Foods
AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aquarium Specialty
Back