How fast do mantis shrimp grow?

Generator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few mantis shrimp (neogonodactylus wennerae) that came in my live rock. There is a red/purple which has gotten quite large and is about 2.5 inches, from about an inch. I have a green one that's about 1.5 inches. Either it turned green from red after a molt or it's yet another because I initially had 3, red and red/purple. The third one I've not seen lately so I don't know if it's being elusive or if it got eaten. I spotted last night a tiny orange one about 3/4 inch. I'm wondering if someone had eggs or if it might have come in the rocks too small to see. The tank has been running for 4 months. Would it have grown more in that time if it arrived on the rocks or is someone having kids. From the growth of my other two, I'd think it would be bigger by now, but I don't know if maybe they grow slower when they are tiny vs bigger? They get plenty to eat and so far, they have been model citizens with my fish, crabs, other shrimp and cleanup crew so I've not tried to trap them. I was however hoping they would age out so, while I'd be thrilled that my tank is supporting fresh hatch, it's not exactly what I'd planned. Any ideas?

Reef Wizard

Octopus Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few mantis shrimp (neogonodactylus wennerae) that came in my live rock. There is a red/purple which has gotten quite large and is about 2.5 inches, from about an inch. I have a green one that's about 1.5 inches. Either it turned green from red after a molt or it's yet another because I initially had 3, red and red/purple. The third one I've not seen lately so I don't know if it's being elusive or if it got eaten. I spotted last night a tiny orange one about 3/4 inch. I'm wondering if someone had eggs or if it might have come in the rocks too small to see. The tank has been running for 4 months. Would it have grown more in that time if it arrived on the rocks or is someone having kids. From the growth of my other two, I'd think it would be bigger by now, but I don't know if maybe they grow slower when they are tiny vs bigger? They get plenty to eat and so far, they have been model citizens with my fish, crabs, other shrimp and cleanup crew so I've not tried to trap them. I was however hoping they would age out so, while I'd be thrilled that my tank is supporting fresh hatch, it's not exactly what I'd planned. Any ideas?
I have been researching mantis have not owned one yet but you may get more help in the mantis forum section

They grow slow

young mantis may molt every 3 months or so and adult twice as long.

OP
OP
Generator

Generator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been researching mantis have not owned one yet but you may get more help in the mantis forum section

They grow slow

young mantis may molt every 3 months or so and adult twice as long.
Thank you! Somehow, I missed the mantis forum, I will repost there.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back