How do I quarantine in Canada?

LunaSky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it would seem like the only way to quarantine in Canada is 1- Observe only, or 2- Copper and Hyposalinity. I recently had the worst thing happen to any reef-keeper... marine velvet. The issue is, in Canada, fish medications are illegal. Luckily, I was able to find copper on Amazon, but nothing else. After some research, it seems Hyposalinity is the next best thing for treating all the hundreds of other issues we might find while reef keeping. But there doesn't seem to be a lot of info on this for us Canadians. And honestly, because I'm so confused on the topic, I've never done an in-depth quarantine before.

So, my questions are... do I do a 3 minute freshwater dip only once before treating with copper? Or do I bring the salinity down to 1.009 and keep it there for thirty days? And if so, do I do the hyposalinity first and THEN the copper, or copper first?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it would seem like the only way to quarantine in Canada is 1- Observe only, or 2- Copper and Hyposalinity. I recently had the worst thing happen to any reef-keeper... marine velvet. The issue is, in Canada, fish medications are illegal. Luckily, I was able to find copper on Amazon, but nothing else. After some research, it seems Hyposalinity is the next best thing for treating all the hundreds of other issues we might find while reef keeping. But there doesn't seem to be a lot of info on this for us Canadians. And honestly, because I'm so confused on the topic, I've never done an in-depth quarantine before.

So, my questions are... do I do a 3 minute freshwater dip only once before treating with copper? Or do I bring the salinity down to 1.009 and keep it there for thirty days? And if so, do I do the hyposalinity first and THEN the copper, or copper first?
Here are 2 articles on both subjects. What type of copper do you have?

OP
OP
L

LunaSky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are 2 articles on both subjects. What type of copper do you have?

Ionic copper... Cuprion from Brightwell.

I can't get some of the medications mentioned in the first article you posted.

Last edited:

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do copper first as this treats the worst one (velvet) while hypo does not.

I’d probably just order Api general cure and see if it got delivered *eyes* for flukes rather then do hypo but you could do hypo for those.

You could also try hybrid tank transfer method which uses peroxide.

OP
OP
L

LunaSky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do copper first as this treats the worst one (velvet) while hypo does not.

I’d probably just order Api general cure and see if it got delivered *eyes* for flukes rather then do hypo but you could do hypo for those.

You could also try hybrid tank transfer method which uses peroxide.
Can't get general cure here. Literally can't get anything here other than freshwater ich treatments...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

Canada is tough. You should have two locations for Pets drug Mart which has copper based meds as well as In ontario. . Canada fish vet
Formaldehyde is another option as is Hypo salinity

sck90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am in Canada too so I was in exactly the same boat. There are still several options :

1) copper power is often available on Amazon.ca
2) so is Fritz Paracleanse, which contains praziquantel (same ingredients as api general cure)
3) I also bought some pure praziquantel on amazon (https://a.co/d/9Nv6cO1)
4) hypo works really well for flukes (1.012) and ich (1.009), but does nothing for velvet

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't get general cure here. Literally can't get anything here other than freshwater ich treatments...

Excited Season 4 GIF by The Office

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go talk to your local Veterinarians. Mine will send the Script for the Antibiotics to the CVS. They are no longer available in the USA, kind of knew this was going to happen, with people taking Horse Dewormer.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to repeat @Tamberav's recommendation that you go google Hybrid Tank Transfer Method, or HTTM. If you have access to fresh saltwater and ordinary strength over-the-counter hydrogen peroxide, you have all that you need to QT for velvet (and you don't need to go messing with formalin).

HTTM is what I use for QT, it works fine, just be sure to follow the instructions, and see if you can find the list that shows what species are more likely to be sensitive.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go talk to your local Veterinarians. Mine will send the Script for the Antibiotics to the CVS. They are no longer available in the USA, kind of knew this was going to happen, with people taking Horse Dewormer.
You mean the medicine that won the Nobel prize?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ionic copper... Cuprion from Brightwell.

I can't get some of the medications mentioned in the first article you posted.
ionic copper is really tricky to use and can cause adverse reactions in some species. I think brightwell even acknowledges that in their advertising. Seems to me if you can get Cuprion, you should be able to get coppersafe.

Hyposalinity works for ich and flukes, but not velvet. Velvet is a much rarer disease though.

OP
OP
L

LunaSky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay! I think I have a plan of attack. I am aware hypo doesn't kill velvet. That's what the copper is for. I'll order the copper power from Amazon. Thank you everyone for your help.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back