Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my tank is a 13gallon, but has a lot of algae and some detrius up can I house a fighting conch? If so will there be a point where I will need to return it.

20221113_144117.jpg 20221113_144107.jpg 20221113_144100.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

TheReefDiary

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my tank is a 13gallon, but has a lot of algae and some detrius up can I house a fighting conch? If so will there be a point where I will need to return it.
If it's small you'll be fine for a bit so long as there isn't a ton of rockwork. And yes eventually if it stays healthy it will be to big for a 13g, especially if you have other sand cleaning inverts or fish.

OP
OP
efish

efish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's small you'll be fine for a bit so long as there isn't a ton of rockwork. And yes eventually if it stays healthy it will be to big for a 13g, especially if you have other sand cleaning inverts or fish.
Okay so what size do you recommend me removing the conch when it reaches that size, and for the future are there any good alternatives so I don't fall victim to their insanely cute faces in the future

20221113_145012.jpg

CLICK TO VIEW

TheReefDiary

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so what size do you recommend me removing the conch when it reaches that size, and for the future are there any good alternatives so I don't fall victim to their insanely cute faces in the future

View attachment 2898493
It's mostly just a concern of having enough food for it. I would say any larger than 3 inches in that tank is pretty big, especially considering there isn't a ton of depth in the sand (at least in this picture).

OP
OP
efish

efish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's mostly just a concern of having enough food for it. I would say any larger than 3 inches in that tank is pretty big, especially considering there isn't a ton of depth in the sand (at least in this picture).
I accidentally siphoned out a bit of sand and will be adding an inch or 2 In the future

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
efish

efish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@efish I would say a tiger/strawberry conch is a better choice due to their smaller adult size than a fighting conch. Also, if its food supply gets low, you can feed it a sinking algae wafer of some sort.
I just did some research on those omg you are so right I do not think my lfs has them though so I'm not too sure if online ordering would be a smart move or not

OP
OP
efish

efish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@efish I would say a tiger/strawberry conch is a better choice due to their smaller adult size than a fighting conch. Also, if its food supply gets low, you can feed it a sinking algae wafer of some sort.
Also I just took some new photos of a conch I got that was labeled fighting conch, but its shell is colored like a tiger conch I think, unless do fighting and tiger coaches have the same design on their shells?

Attachments

• 20221113_145012.jpg
    20221113_145012.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 15

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding new sand will not really help as there is no food in it for a conch. I had two in a 72“x18" tank with a deep sand bed and eventually ended up pulling them due to lack of food. In a small tank nassarius snails would be better as sand stirrers. My fighting conch never left the sand bed so they were useless again algae unless on the sand. Sometimes I wouldn't even see them for days unless I could spot an eye sticking out of the sand.
It sounds like you already have the conch :thinking-face:

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would say you would be fine getting a conch for your tank. Just make sure once the algae is all eaten up or gone you place some seaweed into the Tank. 13 gallons i enough room for a small one. I have 3 decent sized conches in my 32.5.

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Conches seem to vary in their activity levels. I have one that's a "fighting" conch, but I suspect it is actually the tiger/strawberry variety. I have another that was said to be a "bear" conch, which is also a small conch that maxes out at 3in. Both are in my 13.5gallon tank. The bear conch is an algae eating machine--it was climbing up the rocks last night, and doing some pretty fancy gymnastics to get to where it wanted to go. Trunk out and on a mission.

An active conch is an infinitely better sand stirrer than Nassarius snails--my Nassarius just go into the sand and then pop right out at night with minimal sand movement (although they do cross over the sand--but then so do my ceriths).

Do you have a picture of the back side of your conch's shell? The fighting conches I've seen are more spikey on the back end than the tiger/strawberry type.

AquaCave Logo Banner

MaxM

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Conches seem to vary in their activity levels. I have one that's a "fighting" conch, but I suspect it is actually the tiger/strawberry variety. I have another that was said to be a "bear" conch, which is also a small conch that maxes out at 3in. Both are in my 13.5gallon tank. The bear conch is an algae eating machine--it was climbing up the rocks last night, and doing some pretty fancy gymnastics to get to where it wanted to go. Trunk out and on a mission.

An active conch is an infinitely better sand stirrer than Nassarius snails--my Nassarius just go into the sand and then pop right out at night with minimal sand movement (although they do cross over the sand--but then so do my ceriths).

Do you have a picture of the back side of your conch's shell? The fighting conches I've seen are more spikey on the back end than the tiger/strawberry type.
My small conch are like yours. I see them up on the rock rubble all the time. They can circle the perimeter of my rockwork in two nights, also active some of the morning. My tank is a 40gal breeder with a 2-3 inch band of sand between rock and tank wall.

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stirrer than Nassarius snails--my Nassarius just go into the sand and then pop right out at night with minimal sand movement (although they do cross over the sand--but then so do my ceriths).
While this probably true (even though my Nassarius came out any time I fed) If the OP conch is a fighting conch it may very well starve quickly in a small tank. Maybe my fighting conch were unique in that they never left the sand bed and spent most of thier time under the sand so they did not help at all with alage control :thinking-face:

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While this probably true (even though my Nassarius came out any time I fed) If the OP conch is a fighting conch it may very well starve quickly in a small tank. Maybe my fighting conch were unique in that they never left the sand bed and spent most of thier time under the sand so they did not help at all with alage control :thinking-face:
My "fighting" conch is quite lazy. I actually thought it was dead and gone, hence the second conch added to my 13.5g. Funny enough, once the second conch was added, the fighting conch came out and started working and has been an off-and-on grazer for the past couple of months. Still lazy though.

I'd say OP should keep tabs on the size. Once sand and lower rock algae becomes scarce, OP can use algae tabs, but might be best at that point to swap out the fighting conch for a smaller conch.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
efish

efish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding new sand will not really help as there is no food in it for a conch. I had two in a 72“x18" tank with a deep sand bed and eventually ended up pulling them due to lack of food. In a small tank nassarius snails would be better as sand stirrers. My fighting conch never left the sand bed so they were useless again algae unless on the sand. Sometimes I wouldn't even see them for days unless I could spot an eye sticking out of the sand.
It sounds like you already have the conch :thinking-face:
Yup I already have it I worded the start of this thread wrong, nasarius snails seem like a better option in general I will switch out this conch for 5 of them at my lfs after it cleans a bit more, it has done wonders so far, and is looking really happy at the moment

wilder

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I just took some new photos of a conch I got that was labeled fighting conch, but its shell is colored like a tiger conch I think, unless do fighting and tiger coaches have the same design on their shells?
Compare the back of the shell with pics of fighting conchs. I can’t tell from this angle. It looks like it may have banding like a tiger tho.
I think shipping small conchs should be fine. Just make sure there is an “arrive alive” guarantee for invertebrates.

OP
OP
efish

efish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Compare the back of the shell with pics of fighting conchs. I can’t tell from this angle. It looks like it may have banding like a tiger tho.
I think shipping small conchs should be fine. Just make sure there is an “arrive alive” guarantee for invertebrates.
Yup it does match the description of a tiger conch do you think I can house a tiger conch in a 15gal?

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Visit Detroit Reef Club
Back