Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank in January but have not changed my house programmable thermostat settings - 72F during typical wake time and 70F during typical sleep time. Of course my tank fluctuates accordingly (with lag) from 80F to 78F. Two questions: What do you experienced aquarists do with your house programmable thermostats? Do temperature swings affect PH?

jeff williams

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank in January but have not changed my house programmable thermostat settings - 72F during typical wake time and 70F during typical sleep time. Of course my tank fluctuates accordingly (with lag) from 80F to 78F. Two questions: What do you experienced aquarists do with your house programmable thermostats? Do temperature swings affect PH?
Ph not affected by temp if your tank is small house temp can affect it more easily also direct light. My tank will raise and lower a few .10's each day I run my thermostat with a few degs fluctuation like you also

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you struggling with low PH?
If so what is your PH at right before lights out?

Avast
OP
OP
BillyN

BillyN

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you struggling with low PH?
If so what is your PH at right before lights out?
Thanks all. I asked about PH because it is only parameter whose fluctuation I don't understand (Ca 420 to 440, dKH 9-10, Phosphates and Nitrates not detectable). I test PH early evening +6 hours after tank lights come on (sump light on when tank lights not) and ranges from above 7.8 to below 8.2 (I struggle with the test colors).

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. I asked about PH because it is only parameter whose fluctuation I don't understand (Ca 420 to 440, dKH 9-10, Phosphates and Nitrates not detectable). I test PH early evening +6 hours after tank lights come on (sump light on when tank lights not) and ranges from above 7.8 to below 8.2 (I struggle with the test colors).
Is this what your looking for to help you understand?
Just start at the top and take it all in.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to try the aeration test this weekend.
Lol,
I open my widows all the time and my ph stays up. (but your 7.8 to 8.2 is not bad.)
I open two windows and one blows the trapped in Co2 out with a fan.
Turn on all ceiling fans and leave the thermostat temp alone but switch the fan from auto to "on", until I close the widows.
When it's hot in the summer then I open my windows overnight while the outside temp is cooler.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Steved350

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thermostat stays on 72 when Im home but will fluctuate when Im not home. I haven't seen a pH change due to it

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
BillyN

BillyN

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind let us know what Randy's Co2 aeration test results come to over the weekend.
I decided to skip the test after reading glb's post.
You both lead me in the right direction- pretty sure inadequate aeration was issue with PH fluctuations. Last night opened my oveflow line choke valve a little to allow a little gurgle in my overflow box so air gets entrained in the water as it flows down to the first section of sump. Tested ph two hours later and it was 8.2. Checked again this morning before lights on and tested on + side of 8.2.

I had incorrectly assumed my skimmer provided enough aeration.

I'm new to R2R and the responses I've received have been great. Should have joined sooner.:)

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to skip the test after reading glb's post.
You both lead me in the right direction- pretty sure inadequate aeration was issue with PH fluctuations. Last night opened my oveflow line choke valve a little to allow a little gurgle in my overflow box so air gets entrained in the water as it flows down to the first section of sump. Tested ph two hours later and it was 8.2. Checked again this morning before lights on and tested on + side of 8.2.

I had incorrectly assumed my skimmer provided enough aeration.

I'm new to R2R and the responses I've received have been great. Should have joined sooner.:)
We're all happy to help and glad you got it worked out.

I also ran my skimmers air intake line into the garage because there's not much C02 trapped in it and it did help the ph a little.
Some people run their skimmer air intake lines outside of their homes but you need to be careful that pesticides don't get sucked into those outside intake lines.

Bottom line we are all still learning and we are happy that you are apart of the R2R family.

Top Shelf Aquatics

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks GoVols,
Go Green (Spartans)
I'm with you!!!!!!!
My brother went to MS and still lives in East Lansing.

And, Your Welcome.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aqua SD
Back