Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a few of you have discussed it, but how many people are using Apple/Google style integration on their tanks? Once I started using it there was no going back. Being able to control "dumb" lights and heaters was great, but turning off skimmer and other devices without fussing with plugs was its real draw for me. Personally I have everything running through HomeKit/HomeBridge with an old iPhone plugged in under the sump with Siri turned on (all my other devices its turned off). On more than one occasion, usually while doing something dumb, it has saved me being able to yell, "Hey Siri turn off main pumps" while I was elbow deep in tank water. Just wondering why more people have not gone this direction, or if they have and I'm just not seeing it.

IMG_2004.PNG

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Alexa with my apex as I’m severely visually impaired. You can verbally log test results, trigger a feed mode, ask for a status report and program custom commands to turn off equipment for maintenance. It is not perfect but totally a life saver for me. Neptune said they were getting rid of the requirement to say quote alexa ask apex fusion to, but it hasn’t panned out yet. I wish they would get it to work with Google and Siri though. It’s nice to have options

edit. I also run a HomeSeer automation hub and it would be nice to have a apex plugin for that if anyone is smart enough to make one

OP
OP
The_Paradox

The_Paradox

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Alexa with my apex as I’m severely visually impaired. You can verbally log test results, trigger a feed mode, ask for a status report and program custom commands to turn off equipment for maintenance. It is not perfect but totally a life saver for me. Neptune said they were getting rid of the requirement to say quote alexa ask apex fusion to, but it hasn’t panned out yet. I wish they would get it to work with Google and Siri though. It’s nice to have options

edit. I also run a HomeSeer automation hub and it would be nice to have a apex plugin for that if anyone is smart enough to make one
That's one of the main reasons I stayed away from Apex and other and went this route. I know it will never happen but all the walled garden stuff in this hobby is stupid. Manufactures want you to have five thousand apps. I refuse to load apps to control something as simple as a heater. I dream of a day where the hobby demands a standard like matter/thread and any app of your choice can control all your devices. Aquatics as a hobby really is twenty plus years behind the curve. So much archaic hardware and janky kludged devices.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's one of the main reasons I stayed away from Apex and other and went this route. I know it will never happen but all the walled garden stuff in this hobby is stupid. Manufactures want you to have five thousand apps. I refuse to load apps to control something as simple as a heater. I dream of a day where the hobby demands a standard like matter/thread and any app of your choice can control all your devices. Aquatics as a hobby really is twenty plus years behind the curve. So much archaic hardware and janky kludged devices.
There’s an app for that ha. So true but not just our hobby everyone has an app for everything that you must have to operate their product. My toothbrush died a couple months ago so I went online and looked for a new one. First one popped up at well over three hundred bones. I was totally curious what you get for that….. an app, a freakin app for a toothbrush! I’m flabbergasted, and at the same time, wondering when Charmin is going to release an app for their toilet paper.

OP
OP
The_Paradox

The_Paradox

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s an app for that ha. So true but not just our hobby everyone has an app for everything that you must have to operate their product. My toothbrush died a couple months ago so I went online and looked for a new one. First one popped up at well over three hundred bones. I was totally curious what you get for that….. an app, a freakin app for a toothbrush! I’m flabbergasted, and at the same time, wondering when Charmin is going to release an app for their toilet paper.
As soon as the Chinese perfect their microbiome trackers.

Neptune

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Premium Algae Scrubbers from Turbo's Aquatics!
Back