Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy all, I got this stunner frag yesterday, acclimated and dropped it in the tank. Woke up today to find patches of flesh lifting off of the skeleton, In the very center of the "bowl". My immediate assumption was LED burn as it is directly beneath a Radion XR15 G6. As such I've moved it lower in the tank, However I figured I'd seek input Just incase there was another cause that I am Missing or if there is anything else I should do for the frag like dipping etc. Thanks in advance for any input or advice.
20221024_105239.jpg
20221024_105231.jpg

World Wide Corals
Corals.com
OP
OP
strawberryfish

strawberryfish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be many many issues, but if it was LED burn it would start at the point closest to the LED light which is not where the damage is.
could it be a problem with temp acclimation, I didn't temp match the bucket to the tank. I'll take nutrient tests now. Also this is the place I moved the coral to, previously it was angled more flat across so it caught more light.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could it be a problem with temp acclimation, I didn't temp match the bucket to the tank. I'll take nutrient tests now. Also this is the place I moved the coral to, previously it was angled more flat across so it caught more light.
Temp acclimation is the only acclimation required for corals, and is the most important part aside from dipping your corals.

OP
OP
strawberryfish

strawberryfish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp acclimation is the only acclimation required for corals, and is the most important part aside from dipping your corals.
Tragic I was under the impression drip acclimation was necessary and figured temp wouldn't change too much. Thanks.

Nutramar Foods

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tragic I was under the impression drip acclimation was necessary and figured temp wouldn't change too much. Thanks.
Corals and anemones will osmoregulate to the salinity of the water around them, Float the bag in the tank, let it equalize temp, then go through your dipping procedure.

OP
OP
strawberryfish

strawberryfish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals and anemones will osmoregulate to the salinity of the water around them, Float the bag in the tank, let it equalize temp, then go through your dipping procedure.
Thanks a ton, can't believe I've put all my frags through this. Do you figure the chalice will recover or will the tissue recession continue.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a ton, can't believe I've put all my frags through this. Do you figure the chalice will recover or will the tissue recession continue.
Chalice are pretty hardy for the most part. I think if you let it ride it out in lower light it should recover.

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
holly stunner chalice is a tough coral . you might of nicked it or something. yes with this coral only temp accumulation is necessary. normally when a coral gets too much like it doesn't die in a spot like that. it bleaches. leave it alone it will do find

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
strawberryfish

strawberryfish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not appear to be a light burn. It looks like you may have mounted that coral to the rock. If you did, and you used glue. It's probably burnt from the glue.
Thanks for the reply, I tried to get better pictures of the damaged area, Whilst I didn't use glue to secure this piece the edge of the chalice was directly contacting the live rock could this have caused this damage in the middle of the frag?
20221024_124917.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
strawberryfish

strawberryfish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not appear to be a light burn. It looks like you may have mounted that coral to the rock. If you did, and you used glue. It's probably burnt from the glue.
Really love your content btw. The coral spotlights have been rather helpful.

tbrown3589

It's just me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
There were two other chalices and a Pectinia a few inches away maybe it was zapped?
Pectinia is a good possibility. From my understanding they have pretty long, nasty sweeper tentacles.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back