Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I have a HOB skimmer(aquamaxx hob-1.5) do I need a filter? It’s a 36g bow front with no sump I was planning on doing a hob filter or a canister filter(Rena filstar xp2 or a fluval 307). TIA

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need one, no.

But, a hob or canister filter does provide mechanical filtration (removing debris), and also gives you a way to run chemical filtration (activated carbon or chemiclean for example)

So although its not needed, it does provide benefits.

Personally I would suggest a hob filter is better. A canister filter will trap debris and food particles in the canister, which will need to be cleaned very frequently, or the food particles will break down and elevate the nitrate. Removing and cleaning a canister is a pain. HOB is very simple to dissassemble and clean and reinstall.

OP
OP
B

BMbrian7

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need one, no.

But, a hob or canister filter does provide mechanical filtration (removing debris), and also gives you a way to run chemical filtration (activated carbon or chemiclean for example)

So although its not needed, it does provide benefits.

Personally I would suggest a hob filter is better. A canister filter will trap debris and food particles in the canister, which will need to be cleaned very frequently, or the food particles will break down and elevate the nitrate. Removing and cleaning a canister is a pain. HOB is very simple to dissassemble and clean and reinstall.
Thank you I will get a hob filter then

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
World Wide Corals
Back