Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to add a sump but I dont want to drill. I was thinking about adding a HOB overflow box. I would really appreciate set up ideas and good models and brands for the overflow box. Most importantly reliability.

CLICK TO VIEW

mww00ds

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the following one from Amazon. It works pretty good. It on a 30 gal bowfront. Just be careful tighting the nylon screws as you can strip them out easily.

I also attached photos of my tank to sump set up
20230213_172959.jpg
20230213_172946.jpg
20230213_172942.jpg

CLICK TO VIEW

PlumbTuckered

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to add a sump but I dont want to drill. I was thinking about adding a HOB overflow box. I would really appreciate set up ideas and good models and brands for the overflow box. Most importantly reliability.

The overflow you choose depends on the tank size.
Eshopps has the PF-1200 which is quiet and handles lots of water volume. Put you can pick a smaller model if necessary.

Top Shelf Aquatics

melonheadorion

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the cpr brand overflow on mine, and works just fine. i dont have anything to compare it to, so i dont know if its better or worse. i have yet to have a siphon break, even with water changes. Its been running going on 2 years now.,

Last edited:

PotatoPig

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding another +1 for Jeff at Lifereef.

Comments:

1. Don’t over size. If you’re running, say, a 75 gallon tank get the single siphon. This isn’t about being cheap, but that the biggest risk of siphon break is too low flow. Run a double siphon and you’re halving the flow. Even then - you can run these at very leisurely paces.

2. It comes recommended for soft plumbing with flexible pvc. Do this. It is cheap, fast and easy.

3. IMO a variable rate dc pump and adjust flow with that rather than adding valves. After you add the costs of all the valves and connections the dc pump is gonna be much cheaper.

OP
OP
A

agREEFs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this one out, https://www.lifereef.com/siphon.html
Solid piece of gear, great service, hand made in Colorado. I have been using mine for a few months now on a 55 gallon I couldn't drill, and am very happy with it.
I’ve heard the name but never gotten to the website. Thank you very much. I heard great things.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
A

agREEFs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
A

agREEFs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding another +1 for Jeff at Lifereef.

Comments:

1. Don’t over size. If you’re running, say, a 75 gallon tank get the single siphon. This isn’t about being cheap, but that the biggest risk of siphon break is too low flow. Run a double siphon and you’re halving the flow. Even then - you can run these at very leisurely paces.

2. It comes recommended for soft plumbing with flexible pvc. Do this. It is cheap, fast and easy.

3. IMO a variable rate dc pump and adjust flow with that rather than adding valves. After you add the costs of all the valves and connections the dc pump is gonna be much cheaper.
Thank you very much for the step by step guide!

OP
OP
A

agREEFs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the cpr brand overflow on mine, and works just fine. i dont have anything to compare it to, so i dont know if its better or worse. i have yet to have a siphon break, even with water changes. Its been running going on 2 years now.,

Thank you I heard about this. Really appreciate another +1 of ideas.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Breeders
Back