bink177

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I’m planning on adding a trigger systems crystal sump 30” to my 60 gallon breeder using hard plumbing. I already have everything planned out other than the equipment that will go in my sump.

I’m looking to get an eshopps hob overflow box, but I’m not sure which model. I’m also looking to get a Jebao dcp return pump but I’m also not sure which model because that depends on the overflow box. Which models should I get? Any advice and recommendations are appreciated!

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably decide how much turn over you want to target and size the overflow accordingly. I ran two eshops on a 180g but don't remember which ones. I love the jebao dcp returns pumps and have 3 of them running. Mine are silent and they're cheap enough I keep back ups on the shelf.

OP
OP
B

bink177

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably decide how much turn over you want to target and size the overflow accordingly. I ran two eshops on a 180g but don't remember which ones. I love the jebao dcp returns pumps and have 3 of them running. Mine are silent and they're cheap enough I keep back ups on the shelf.
I’m seeing online that the recommended turn over rate is 5x of the tank and sumps total volume per hour.

So would a the pf800 (800gph) overflow box alongside the dcp-4000 (1000 gph) be the best choice? How much gph should the pump run at?

Last edited:

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m seeing online that the recommended turn over rate is 5x of the tank and sumps total volume per hour.

So would a the pf800 (800gph) overflow box alongside the dcp-4000 (1000 gph) be the best choice? How much gph should the pump run at?
Sorry I'm not much help with the math and run pretty simple systems. I never calculated my turnover rate when I was using hobs. I was running a large external return pump controling flow with a gate valve and I would adjust the flow to the rate needed for the hobs too work correctly. To little flow and they draw in air and can loose syphon. Too much and they can overflow. All of my tanks now are manufactured so I use DC pumps rated a bit higher than the flow recommended by the manufacturer of the tank. I never worry about how much turn over I'm getting I adjust the pump so overflows are as quite as possible. I mostly rely on in tank power heads for flow and the overflows for filtration.

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using the 800 model for 4 years on a 125 gallon. Been working very well, eheim 1260 pump is the return at about 650 gallons an hour, No issues great flow.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back