Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a small 10 gallon frag / invert / QT tank where you have to live for a while if you are not a fish. Just a heater, a small powerhead, Prime 16hd and HOB filter. The tank has a film that builds up on the water surface since there is no overflow - I assume the film is protein or fat? I considered adding a protein skimmer, but don't really want more equipment. I am now considering adding a corner overflow to the tank - small - maybe 4x5 inches - and have the filter inlet inside that overflow, and the filter outlet back into the tank. No Sump. The thought being that the organics on the water surface would now flow into the overflow and allow it to be pulled out by the filter. Thoughts? Worth the effort? Thanks

Top Shelf Aquatics

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a small 10 gallon frag / invert / QT tank where you have to live for a while if you are not a fish. Just a heater, a small powerhead, Prime 16hd and HOB filter. The tank has a film that builds up on the water surface since there is no overflow - I assume the film is protein or fat? I considered adding a protein skimmer, but don't really want more equipment. I am now considering adding a corner overflow to the tank - small - maybe 4x5 inches - and have the filter inlet inside that overflow, and the filter outlet back into the tank. No Sump. The thought being that the organics on the water surface would now flow into the overflow and allow it to be pulled out by the filter. Thoughts? Worth the effort? Thanks
I think I know what you mean - but I think you risk various problems. Why not just hook the bottom (outflow) of the overflow to the inlet tubing of the powerhead - though this will not 'remove' the stuff - it will break up the surface - and either way - the filter would/should take care of it?

OP
OP
S

Staplesofficewar

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I know what you mean - but I think you risk various problems. Why not just hook the bottom (outflow) of the overflow to the inlet tubing of the powerhead - though this will not 'remove' the stuff - it will break up the surface - and either way - the filter would/should take care of it?
I see what you mean, but the overflow i am looking at is just two walls and silicone in the corner. You are meant to drill the glass so you have a real overflow - but I dont really want a sump for a simple QT frag tank. So it would be two walls for form a box in the corner. The inlet to the HOB filter is inside this overflow area, and the output from the filter flows back into the tank. I'm sure it would work without risk, just not sure if it means my filter cartridge will foul sooner or if it will make water quality worse.

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe look at the tunze comline filters. They are not too large and pull water from the surface so may do exactly what you want. I fill my with layers of filter floss aka pillow stuffing and just lift the lid and pull a layer out when it dirty.
tunze.jpg

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what you mean, but the overflow i am looking at is just two walls and silicone in the corner. You are meant to drill the glass so you have a real overflow - but I dont really want a sump for a simple QT frag tank. So it would be two walls for form a box in the corner. The inlet to the HOB filter is inside this overflow area, and the output from the filter flows back into the tank. I'm sure it would work without risk, just not sure if it means my filter cartridge will foul sooner or if it will make water quality worse.
OH - yes - I think that would work. I thought you already had the tank set up (i.e. can't use silicone underwater.

mjw011689

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I’m picturing it wrong but I think it would work. If you had a corner overflow, which had a hole in the front (say a few inches below the surface), and you put like an elbow on the HOB intake tube that runs over to that hole in the overflow… the filter would then suck water from inside the overflow, which would cause the water to flow into the overflow and create that skimming action you’re looking for.

But if you don’t already have this set up, I think that filter in the post above might be a better idea

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back