Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello! i got a large zoa colony on a rock from the store i work at about a month and a half ago. about a week ago i saw this popping out. it doesn't seem to move at all, but i do believe it's new and not a part of a rock that got uncovered since the colony has only been growing. i think it looks like a clam or some other type of bivalve, any ideas as far as species? it's hard to take photos with the blue light that capture the color, but it seems to be a dull red color, and it seems to be around 2-3 inches.

7572A321-BDCC-4244-BF1E-5C90780420EE.jpeg

Avast
OP
OP
Surskit

Surskit

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

Mine are susceptible to light changes and movement. If you wave something over or near it to create a shadow it should close up.
alright! i made this post just before heading out for a doctors appointmeny, but i'll try that right when i'm back home.

Nutramar Foods

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are pretty cool. The ones in my tank have reproduced and they are also capable of moving to different spots. They are also insanely resilient as I've had some survive upgrades from 40g to 75g and now 125g... not to mention a myriad of noob atrocities.

OP
OP
Surskit

Surskit

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are pretty cool. The ones in my tank have reproduced and they are also capable of moving to different spots. They are also insanely resilient as I've had some survive upgrades from 40g to 75g and now 125g... not to mention a myriad of noob atrocities.
that's really cool! have they done any harm to any of your corals? if not i'd love to keep this guy around! in general i like any and all biodiversity i can get in my tank so long as they aren't causing problems.

Soren

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm home now and i checked again, and it had closed up, so i'm assuming it's alive!
If you see it open and can see fleshy skirt around the edges, it is most certainly alive. If it dies, the flesh will rot away quickly. There were a number of bivalves of a few different types that came in on my ocean live rock, and it is pretty easy to determine which ones are alive and which ones are dead.

OP
OP
Surskit

Surskit

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see it open and can see fleshy skirt around the edges, it is most certainly alive. If it dies, the flesh will rot away quickly. There were a number of bivalves of a few different types that came in on my ocean live rock, and it is pretty easy to determine which ones are alive and which ones are dead.
alright, cool! i did see that when i saw it open a bit ago.

Soren

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright, cool! i did see that when i saw it open a bit ago.
Also, from what I have seen, bivalves are typically at least partially if not fully open after death, so a closed bivalve from an external perspective on reef rocks is often a living bivalve.

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's really cool! have they done any harm to any of your corals? if not i'd love to keep this guy around! in general i like any and all biodiversity i can get in my tank so long as they aren't causing problems.
No problems at all, GSP will grow right over them if left unchecked.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Zoanthids.com
Back