Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas how much it would cost (or who to contact) to hire one to check out if the floor would be able to hold the weight of an aquarium? It would be in Wisconsin.

Basically moving up there and need to make sure the spot I want is able to hold it, there is a metal I-beam next to where I would like to place the tank and the beams underneath it would run parallel to the tank, along with a support holding the metal beam. I'd rather not bust a tank or ruin the floor...

TIA

Top Shelf Aquatics

mnl119

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't help you with the costs for hiring an engineer, but there are tables online that can tell you the weight per area that can be supported for various joist spacings and thicknesses which could get you started. When building decks for hot tubs, I've shot for 100 lb/ft2.

AS
OP
OP
thesoulpatch

thesoulpatch

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's just a 140, but with everything it's close 2000lbs. It's in a house, the tank would sit on the outside wall. I have attached the picture above where it would sit. Right above the window is where I would like it but it can be more or less centered on the I-beam if needed.

123_1 (3).jpeg

mnl119

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's just a 140, but with everything it's close 2000lbs. It's in a house, the tank would sit on the outside wall. I have attached the picture above where it would sit. Right above the window is where I would like it but it can be more or less centered on the I-beam if needed.

View attachment 3121436
As long as you are close to the load I-beam, I'd think you'd be fine. I had 180 long, on a personally-built stand (that weighed about 200+ pounds) on 10" engineered Joists for years and it was fine. It was located "nearly" above the load bearing cinder block wall in the crawl space, similarly to what you are planning.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
thesoulpatch

thesoulpatch

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you are close to the load I-beam, I'd think you'd be fine. I had 180 long, on a personally-built stand (that weighed about 200+ pounds) on 10" engineered Joists for years and it was fine. It was located "nearly" above the load bearing cinder block wall in the crawl space, similarly to what you are planning.

if it's centered on that I-beam I wouldn't even worry about it.
Awesome thanks! That's a huge relief off my mind.

mnl119

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks! That's a huge relief off my mind.
For a 140 gallon, that's 1,200 lbs of water. Add a few hundred pounds for rock, the aquarium, stand etc., and you're not that far from 3 fat guys on a couch watching the big game!

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was personally disappointed in the info I got from a very pricey structural engineer to assess a roofing situation of a very old house (not standard construction).

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
UniqueCorals.com shop rare & farmed corls
Back