high sulfur / sulfate in reef tanks - 2 part and sand bed?

GSnake

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My icp says 1248 mg/l sulfur 138% of ideal value, and 3738mg/l 138% of ideal value.

i use 2 randy's part during this icp test and was wondering if this is contributing to my high sulfate from the Mg mix.
I am migrating to the real 2 part (high PH boost - hydroxide).

assuming these are balanced and not contributing, could my 1-2 inch sand bed be contributing ? or anoxic areas of my sump producing hydrogen sulfide. when i vacuum my display sand bed the residuals in the bucket are very dark silt like material. I think if its close to black , its hydrogen sulfide producing? could this be contributing.

I am thinking to reduce sand bed (to keep it thin and aerobic), and get sand sifters to prevent this. suggestions? [this is probably the reason behind my .25 phosphate too]

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two part, when properly made, does not cause sulfate to rise relative to chloride.
The only cause to a significant rise in sulfate would be additives, or a salt mix that was high in sulfate relative to chloride. Sand beds aren’t a significant source. If hydrogen sulfide was even a few ppm, it would smell horrible and be toxic, and that sulfide would mostly come from sulfate reduction, so no net change to total S.

I don’t think the result you got us a concern, but can you post the icp results?

OP
OP
GSnake

GSnake

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes i read that trace element solutions can contain amounts of sulphate that might be the cause for high levels. i wasnt using one at the time, but i am now (brightwell replenish) .. could also be my salt, (seachem vibrant sea)

icp test

that link should work, its more detailed and better explanations there.
if not, the simplified version in pdf is attached too.

Attachments

• icp test.pdf
    127.8 KB · Views: 8
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back