Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some help please! Last week I started using a Gfo reactor bc my phosphates were creeping above 0.2. The next day I checked levels and they were 0! I added phosphates, and after a couple phosphates were 0.18, and nitrates were 19 (normal). I did not restart Gfo. So that was 4 days ago. I rechecked water last night and nitrates 27 and phosphates 0 again! Is my tank crashing?! I should mention I lost a 4” naso I couldn’t find in the last two days due to power heads being off overnight‍♀️ 220G

World Wide Corals

HankstankXXXL750

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would find the naso. I’m surprised that you lost a fish because the power heads were off. Was the main return pump still running.

Dead fish could be the cause of raising nitrates. It sure why phosphates are dropping. Have you removed the gfo or dust shut down?

MrGisonni

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dead naso is the prob the source of the nitrates unfortunately. My nitrates are at 30ppm and phosphates near zero and my reef has never looked better. I do have a bit of macro algae in the display and on the rocks so I must have some phosphates. But for me now fighting nitrates seems silly considering how good my lps and softies look. If I can keep them between 20 and 30 I am happy. Read this

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/tank-parameters-of-some-masters.263/

OP
OP
S

sunnyraven

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would find the naso. I’m surprised that you lost a fish because the power heads were off. Was the main return pump still running.

Dead fish could be the cause of raising nitrates. It sure why phosphates are dropping. Have you removed the gfo or dust shut down?
I couldn’t find it anywhere! The return was still running, but that’s the only thing that happened that was out of the norm. I turned off Gfo immediately after I got the zero reading. I thought I was in the clear when I got the 0.18 reading a few days later, but a few days after that that I get a 0 again. My reading this am was 0.03. Just not sure what is going on:(

HankstankXXXL750

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your 0 is probably not truly 0 from what I’ve read. At least .03 isn’t completely gone. I lost a copperbanded butterfly once. It hid so much I didn’t notice for a couple days then saw it’s carcass on a power head on the back behind the rocks so got it out.

If you have emerald crabs, hermits, cleaners etc, it will hopefully get mostly consumed. Just don’t want it to be in some stagnant area rotting.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Torch SALE
Back