Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The following is not my tank. It is a tank that someone is asking me to help them on.

220 gallon system (rectangular with center island overflow...vomit) and what looks like around a undersized 20 gallon sump. Protein skimmer looks undersized as well probably a 4 inch cup head (not sure what it is really rated for, have to do some more searching). Water parameters are all out of whack. Diatoms are constantly a problem. Other corals are dead, the only one that seems to be thriving and took over is a sort of pink hairy mushroom (and I mean this stuff is all over the tank). Fish seem to be ok and are not currently croaking off except for a Pin Cushion Sea Urchin. They really didn't know what they are doing and are now asking for help. Sump had 6 inches of waste. Sand bed was horribly full of detritus. Rock is not on the bottom of tank, it is sitting on the sand bed (what the heck!!), and looks to also have detritus on it. Heater (one single 300W) and thermostat were failing. Thermostat was reading 74F and heater was stuck on. Temp was actually 82F.

Water parameters were the following when I first went there and tested:
Ammonia-0 ppm API
Nitritie-0 ppm API
Nitrate-between 10-20 ppm API
Phosphate-0.25 ppm Hanna Checker
Calcium-260 ppm API
Alkalinity- 21 dKH!!! Hanna Checker, confirmed this with API and at a LFS
Magnesium-1200 ppm NYOS
Salinity-1.02 Refractometer
PH-8.3 Hanna Checker

Inhabitants are of the following:
Orchid dottyback
Pajama cardinalfish-2
Orange butterflyfish
Clownfish-2
Yellow spotted goby
Blue sapphire damselfish-2
Black ice clownfish
Black snowflake clownfish
Blue hippo tang
Yellow tang
Flame angel
Niger triggerfish
Paisley goby
Six line wrasse
Snails and hermits (very small assortment, could really be a couple snails if any and a couple hermits)

I have since done a 30% water change, then a couple weeks later 50% water change and cleaned out the sump removing 6 inches of what looked like clay (detritus and expired Miracle Mud). I have each time also cleaned the entire sand bed (I don't normally do the whole bed, but these numbers are crazy). Alkalinity has come down to about 18 dKH. Salinity was up to 1.022. Calcium and Magnesium stayed the same. Talking them into letting me come in and and do a weekly water change. I drove over to Petco and got in an emergency, a single 300W heater and a digital thermostat to monitor. Temp is now 76.8. I have ordered two Finnex 500W heaters and an Ink Bird thermostat. I want them to let me remove the larger granules of sand bed and switch to a smaller granule. Also, I want to put the rock on the bottom against the glass and glue it together (did I mention the rock was not glued?). Changing the aquascape would also have to happen to allow better flow and blast detritus off of the rocks.

I have multiple questions. Is this the worse you have ever seen for dKH!?! How are the hairy mushrooms thriving so much? Wouldn't the high Alkalinity mess with the fish as well? Why do they seem to be doing fine? What would you do from here? If I only dose Calcium and Magnesium, would the Alkalinity come down some more. I always two part dose and never had this kind of craziness. So new to me, I am learning. What I am seeing is high Phosphate, high Alkalinity, low Calcium, low Magnesium, low Salinity. They feed using froze Brine Shrimp cubes during the weekday and use a auto feeder on the weekend and use New Life Spectrum Marine Fish pellets in the feeder. 4 stage RODI is in place feeding directly to the sump. DI canister is next for me to change as it has 25% left. Other ones I have no idea and neither do they, so I am ordering new replacements for them as well (I really need to test the water coming out). I don't know what kind of salt was being used before, but I am using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals.

I am about to install the new heaters and thermostat. Water change is happening again this weekend, testing and possibly dosing based on the comments in this forum. Also testing the water coming out of the RODI system. Ordering new filtration for the RODI. Ordering more variety of snails and hermits. Once numbers adjust I will be pulling out some snails and hermits so they don't mess up the numbers again when they die. What's next?? Let me know what to try, or maybe something I need to make sure I don't do.

Thanks

AS

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use both the calcium and alk tests on some new salt water to verify that they are working correctly, or the new salt water is not way off for some reason?

Is tap water being used?

Work ont eh salinity before dosign calcium because the salinity rise will boost it (and everything else).

OP
OP
EmusJames

EmusJames

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use both the calcium and alk tests on some new salt water to verify that they are working correctly, or the new salt water is not way off for some reason?

Is tap water being used?

Work ont eh salinity before dosign calcium because the salinity rise will boost it (and everything else).
I will do that tonight after I get off of work, and post the details. Tap water is running through their RODI system. Testing that tonight as well for TDS. That is my worry also about everything going up, I could assume alkalinity will rise, but also go down with the water change. Hence maybe the reason it only went down 3 dKH?

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
EmusJames

EmusJames

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is tap water being used?

Instant Ocean Reef Crystals--new batch 40 gallons
Calcium-460 ppm API
Alkalinity-9.7 dKH Hanna
Salinity-1.026 Refractometer
Temp-82F--only did this in this batch, because I will be using it this weekend, by the time I get it to where it is going, it will drop to the temp I want, which is around 78F (it's cold here currently)

I stopped by there and tested the alkalinity again, it is 18.3 dKH (Hanna), so it has gone up 0.3 since last test. Salinity is at 1.024. Calicium is at 300 ppm (API).

Seems like the water changes are starting to balance things out. Will know more after the water change that I plan on doing this Saturday.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EmusJames

EmusJames

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the DI is depleted, it might be adding alk.
Sorry for the late reply. I had an emergency and had my appendix removed. I believe you are correct. I tested the TDS and it was high. I could only test when the water was low...I hate their setup. It feeds automatically, so I have been in once a week to help and do the water change. It is now down to 15.8 alkalinity. Unfortunately gotta wait 2 weeks before I can lift anything heavy, so will do another water change then. For now will order them some new filtration media.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late reply. I had an emergency and had my appendix removed. I believe you are correct. I tested the TDS and it was high. I could only test when the water was low...I hate their setup. It feeds automatically, so I have been in once a week to help and do the water change. It is now down to 15.8 alkalinity. Unfortunately gotta wait 2 weeks before I can lift anything heavy, so will do another water change then. For now will order them some new filtration media.

Wow, hope you are OK!

Keep us updated.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Atlantik Icon  reef aquarium LED Bar
Back