Hi guys. New here and could do with some help

MickD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I'm from the UK and have done quite a lot of research using this forum recently before buying my first saltwater tank. I've searched the Web to see if I have a problem with my tank but can't really find an answer. I have bought a used red sea max nano. I noticed when cleaning it out before use that the outlet nozzle wasn't sealed between the display and the rear sump (I may have made it come loose) When filling the display the sump started filling up in the return chamber through the outside of the return nozzle. I wasn't sure if this was a problem at the time as I've never had a sump on a tank before. After running for a couple of days I stated to hear water trickling into the filter sock and the salinity level has increased slightly indicating a lower water level. From what I have read the return chamber level will drop when water evaporates and the built in ato should fill it back up but the water level is the same in both parts of the sump and the ato still full. Is the display tank filling the sump so the ato isn't working or would the return pump, pump fast enough for that not to matter? I'm thinking I'm going to have to drain it and seal the outlet. Sorry for the long first post and thanks in advance if anyone can offer any advice.
Mick

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

SaltyWalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef 2 reef! Also just a heads up but since this is a meet and greet thread most people are just gonna welcome you to the platform. Might be worth posting your questions in an other thread. But when you say back sump do you mean it’s an all in one aquarium?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I'm from the UK and have done quite a lot of research using this forum recently before buying my first saltwater tank. I've searched the Web to see if I have a problem with my tank but can't really find an answer. I have bought a used red sea max nano. I noticed when cleaning it out before use that the outlet nozzle wasn't sealed between the display and the rear sump (I may have made it come loose) When filling the display the sump started filling up in the return chamber through the outside of the return nozzle. I wasn't sure if this was a problem at the time as I've never had a sump on a tank before. After running for a couple of days I stated to hear water trickling into the filter sock and the salinity level has increased slightly indicating a lower water level. From what I have read the return chamber level will drop when water evaporates and the built in ato should fill it back up but the water level is the same in both parts of the sump and the ato still full. Is the display tank filling the sump so the ato isn't working or would the return pump, pump fast enough for that not to matter? I'm thinking I'm going to have to drain it and seal the outlet. Sorry for the long first post and thanks in advance if anyone can offer any advice.
Mick
POST A Picture!

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I’m not sure what you mean as I don’t have this aquarium.

OP
OP
M

MickD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef 2 reef! Also just a heads up but since this is a meet and greet thread most people are just gonna welcome you to the platform. Might be worth posting your questions in an other thread. But when you say back sump do you mean it’s an all in one aquarium?
Thank you. I will post it in a different section. Yes it's an all in one. I will start another thread and see if I can add pictures.

danreef55

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!​

We're thrilled to have you join our reefing community. Whether you're just starting out or have years of experience, there's always something new to learn and share here. Feel free to dive into the discussions, ask questions, and share your own reefing adventures. We're all here to help and grow together. Happy reefing
1725960744936.png

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back