Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to saltwater and my tank is just done cycling. Ammonia 0ppm, nitrites 0ppm, nitrates 10ppm, specific gravity 1.021. I just got 12 blue legged hermit crabs for my tank yesterday and they were active all day. I went to bed last night and woke up this morning and now they're all just kinda standing there... They're not dead, they can be spooked back into their shells and provoked into moving but they're just not going anywhere, I've been watching them for a few hours and none of them have moved any more than an inch. It would seem to me like there's something wrong with my water quality for them to be acting like that but there's nothing that I know of? Any Ideas what's going on?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to saltwater and my tank is just done cycling. Ammonia 0ppm, nitrites 0ppm, nitrates 10ppm, specific gravity 1.021. I just got 12 blue legged hermit crabs for my tank yesterday and they were active all day. I went to bed last night and woke up this morning and now they're all just kinda standing there... They're not dead, they can be spooked back into their shells and provoked into moving but they're just not going anywhere, I've been watching them for a few hours and none of them have moved any more than an inch. It would seem to me like there's something wrong with my water quality for them to be acting like that but there's nothing that I know of? Any Ideas what's going on?

1.021 is low for inverts. 1.026 is appropriate.

AquaCave Logo Banner

hbubley

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Specific gravity seems low to me, usually it's kept around 1.025, but this may not be a problem. I have limited experience, following and waiting for someone more expert to comment.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Bring tank to at least 1.024and assure CA level is not low. Assure your numbers given are accurate as i suspect false readings with tank just cycled and can assume you are using an Api kit. Take a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at

Avast
OP
OP
L.ost

L.ost

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bring tank to at least 1.024and assure CA level is not low. Assure your numbers given are accurate as i suspect false readings with tank just cycled and can assume you are using an Api kit. Take a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at
Brought my specific gravity up to 1.024 and things have only gotten worse I'm afraid. I had like 3 or 4 of the little hermit crabs die on me. I don't have time today but tomorrow I may take your advice and take a water sample in to be tested because I have absolutely no clue how else to troubleshoot this. I am using an API test kit and I've tested multiple times and gotten consistent readings every time.

AS

Nemo&Friends

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have old blue and red hermit. My salinity is around 1023... I think that hermit are somewhat nocturnal, so they will not be very active during the day unless they smell food. Try to feed them of check at night to see if they move more.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
First Choice
Back