Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the largest size shell that should be available for hermits? Mine are the common blue legged variety for sale everywhere, and I want to make sure there are enough shells of the maximum size for them. Any ideas as to rough size, opening dimension, or anything else? Haven't been able to find a good answer to this anywhere.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the largest size shell that should be available for hermits? Mine are the common blue legged variety for sale everywhere, and I want to make sure there are enough shells of the maximum size for them. Any ideas as to rough size, opening dimension, or anything else? Haven't been able to find a good answer to this anywhere.
Just a little bigger than their shell. They can get pretty big but that takes a lot of time, no need at all to keep shells for their late size.

Crofty

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple bigger/older blue leg hermits that have upgraded to shells with roughly 1/2 inch diameter openings. Shell length, about 1.5 inch. From what I've read, this is probably the max size they would need.

Also, they seem to grow faster if they have bigger shells. I ran out of the larger shells and the hermits stuck with the smaller shells seem to have stopped or slowed growing. This is just an observation and may not be entirely true.

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

flyingscampi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was what mine used.

hermit_shells.jpg

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back