Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow, friends, I am so pumped. Today I was able to get the rest of my livestock out of one of my 125s and ready to set up the new reef!!! What a day!

I have roughly 80 pounds of live rock in my garage that has been sitting in tubs with water/powerheads/light and will be getting 140 pounds of live sand tonight as well. I am wondering about salt with which to make saltwater. As I am just setting the tank up now and will be letting it cycle and do its thing while I wait to get my lights for it, can I use Instant Ocean, or should I really be looking into getting Fritz or something a little "nicer?" Any advice will be greatly appreciated about anything I wrote, and thanks a ton to everyone, y'all are so awesome and kind.

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Holy cow, friends, I am so pumped. Today I was able to get the rest of my livestock out of one of my 125s and ready to set up the new reef!!! What a day!

I have roughly 80 pounds of live rock in my garage that has been sitting in tubs with water/powerheads/light and will be getting 140 pounds of live sand tonight as well. I am wondering about salt with which to make saltwater. As I am just setting the tank up now and will be letting it cycle and do its thing while I wait to get my lights for it, can I use Instant Ocean, or should I really be looking into getting Fritz or something a little "nicer?" Any advice will be greatly appreciated about anything I wrote, and thanks a ton to everyone, y'all are so awesome and kind.
Awesome get that build thread started!

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice will be greatly appreciated about anything I wrote, and thanks a ton to everyone, y'all are so awesome and kind.
IO is fine, particularly to start a system. You may decide to change it up after you start to get LPS or SPS corals in the tank, but for now, inexpensive IO is just fine.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
sadrobotz

sadrobotz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IO is fine, particularly to start a system. You may decide to change it up after you start to get LPS or SPS corals in the tank, but for now, inexpensive IO is just fine.
great, thank you! and to clarify, can i use the regular instant ocean, or do I need to use the reef crystals?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great, thank you! and to clarify, can i use the regular instant ocean, or do I need to use the reef crystals?
IO is fine. Reef Crystal just has extra levels of some elements in it... alkalinity and magnesium come to mind. You don't need those now. Won't hurt if you use it though. I don't remember there being a big difference in cost.

OP
OP
sadrobotz

sadrobotz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IO is fine. Reef Crystal just has extra levels of some elements in it... alkalinity and magnesium come to mind. You don't need those now. Won't hurt if you use it though. I don't remember there being a big difference in cost.
i see, thank you. i assume that by doing water changes with fritz reef salt (or something similar) and dosing those elements down the road will help to rectify that?

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i see, thank you. i assume that by doing water changes with fritz reef salt (or something similar) and dosing those elements down the road will help to rectify that?
Yes. Fritz is a fine, reasonably priced salt. I used to use it.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Coral Frenzy
Back