+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I am relatively new to keeping Zoos. I have a 10 gal. quaranteen tank set up to keep frags in that I have ordered online.

I have had about 4 frags die in the last 2 weeks and it looks like I have a couple more that are sick now. They start with a polyp or two that don't open, then they turn white looking. After a day or two, the whiteness starts to spread and the whole frag turns white and a little fuzzy/slimy. That's when I am assuming they are dead. I took one out of the tank after it had turned all white, and it stunk bad.

The tank is 10 gal.
The light is a dual T5 (one 10K one actinic)
The temp is 80
The amonia is 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates .03
Sg .024-.025
PH 8.4

The frags are on egg crate racks. The amount of light or flow doesn't seem to matter.

PLEASE HELP!!! I don't want to lose any more and I have invested some cash in a 40 gal. breeder that I plan to raise even more frags in (if I can get the hang of keeping them alive)

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Top Shelf Aquatics

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the white fungus I've lost some morphs to. The only treatment that I know is doing a 50%tank water:hydrogen peroxide dip or an iodine dip. I've heard people have better success treating these fungus problems with the hydrogen peroxide treatment though. I would also do a large water change and add carbon to help clean the water. I really hope this helps and keep us posted.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
follow3

follow3

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the white fungus I've lost some morphs to. The only treatment that I know is doing a 50%tank water:hydrogen peroxide dip or an iodine dip. I've heard people have better success treating these fungus problems with the hydrogen peroxide treatment though. I would also do a large water change and add carbon to help clean the water. I really hope this helps and keep us posted.

That sounds like it may be it. Do you know where I can find any pics or more info on the fungus? It may not be a fungus though. I said earlier that they get fuzzy, that is not really a good description.

They just seem to turn to white slime and melt away. They leave a white color on the rock when they are gone. I will try to get some pics.

Can you give me any more info on the peroxide dip?

Thanks a bunch everyone!!! Keep the ideas coming.

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
follow3

follow3

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like posting threads from another website but here was one thread I found that mentions the hydrogen peroxide treatment as well as a tetracycline treatment. There are some pictures (some more representative than others IMHO) of what this fungus looks like. Hope this helps!
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=434256&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

That's definitely it ecotox.

Thanks for the link. I will go out and get tetracycline tomorrow.

I have only gotten frags from 3 suppliers. I checked to see which ones started this whole epidemic. I wont name names, but it happens to be coming from and mostly infecting a group of frags that I got from a supplier that I met here that sends a list to you every couple of weeks and the frags are only $10.00 each. So be careful!!

Thanks again for the help. I will let you all know how the tetracycline works.

Thanks,
Steve

Corals.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Precise.Accurate.Reliable.ICP-OES by Reef Labs
Back