Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you consider to have the best water level in your sump?
Should the last step before the "waterflow" to the return chamber be level with the rest of the sump? Should it be flowing down into the return?

Any help with photos would be be greatly appreciated!

I would like to get this sorted out as I feel that some times I either over fill it and sometimes I under which is why I feel I get parameter swings

Top Shelf Aquatics

p1u5h13r4m24

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should the last step before the "waterflow" to the return chamber be level with the rest of the sump? Should it be flowing down into the return?

I would like to get this sorted out as I feel that some times I either over fill it and sometimes I under which is why I feel I get parameter swings
I have my water about2” above my return pump. It’s the lowest water section in my sump. I keep it this way so that if I ever forget to turn my ato back on my return pump will be sucking air within a day. This way my salinity doesn’t creep up too high before I catch it and have too much of a parameter swing. The section before that is for my protein skimmer and I have that adjusted high enough for the skimmer to work most efficiently.

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
B

Bent17

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how it currently is..

Should the first photo be like that? Higher? Lower?

Attachments

• 20230217_094932.jpg
    20230217_094932.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 71
  • 20230217_094940.jpg
    20230217_094940.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 69

p1u5h13r4m24

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m assuming this is a Red Sea reefer g2 sump. It looks like the skimmer is in the back with the return pump.. is there a sponge filter between the two sections? I know I’m the old Red Sea tanks there was a sponge filter between the main chamber and return pump section.I typically keep it lower, but I don’t think you exactly need to unless theres a sponge filter than you just need it below the top of the sponge. Otherwise u just need your return section to be at a level that works with your skimmer. Sometimes people need to raise their skimmers. If that is the case get something like pvc pipe from the hardware store to sit the skimmer on.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
B

Bent17

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had removed the sponge filter between the return chamber and the skimmer area. Yes I turn off the return pump, remove the water from the display, then turn on the return pump and add the new water to the sump.. my skimmer is not elevated.. So I should just fill up the tank till the skimmer level (Redsea Skimmer 600)

TheBear78

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DT and sump water level (not the return area) is a function of weir height, sump baffle height and to a lesser extent pump flow rate. Water volume can have an effect but you would have to add quite a lot extra...
This is generally fixed although some RedSea sumps have an adjustable baffle to adjust the level in one section.
Your sump has had the socks removed so the whole front area is the same (it would normally be higher by the drains).
The baffle behind your reefmat will set this height but may not be adjustable.
You want the level lower (seperated) in the return area as this works better for the ATO. Evaporation will only affect the return area where the ATO sensor/float is and using this smaller volume area means smaller losses are captured quickly rather than waiting for a large volume of water to register a drop in level.

When I carry out water changes I will typically do it in multiples of 25 litre barrels. That is, I either do two or four barrels which is either 50 or 100 litres.
I will heat the water in a separate container then use the empty barrels to gauge how much I have drained. If I'm heating two barrels worth (50 litres) then I drain my DT into the two empty barrels. This way water out equals water in although I typically drain a little bit less to allow for skimmer losses. I do check salinity isn't drifting.
The water level in the system will always settle at the ATO sensor so in my experience it is best to gauge the water level there with the pump running. You can make marks or take measurements anywhere as long as you are consistent but with the pump running the return area and ATO sensor height is the most accurate.
I am happy to do like for like charges to maintain this and only ever check the the water looks about right in the return area or maybe a touch high. If you cannot accurately carry out like for like changes then make a mark in the return chamber and confirm with the pump running.

Over or under filling will only affect the return area unless you are really overdoing it. The rest of the system should set its own height once running. To that end, you won't be able to set the water height for the skimmer by adding water as it is set in that chamber by the baffles. If the skimmer height needs adjustment it can be raised on a platform. FYI, I've raised mine 4 inches to stop it flowing wet foam.

OP
OP
B

Bent17

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that! I am doing like with like water changes, but want to figure out if I am currently over or under filling so then I can do the correct like with like :)

AquaCave Logo Banner

p1u5h13r4m24

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that! I am doing like with like water changes, but want to figure out if I am currently over or under filling so then I can do the correct like with like :)
Yes if the main issue is over or under filling then just make sure you’re putting in the same amount you’re taking out.

OP
OP
B

Bent17

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes if the main issue is over or under filling then just make sure you’re putting in the same amount you’re taking out.
Yes thats what I will do, but just wanted to confirm if I am actually in the right level.. My Reefmat is gurguling a lot so makes me wonder that I am under..

srobertb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Should the last step of water flow be level with rest of sump? Yes.

Return pump chamber water level: Should it be flowing “down” into the return pump area and how far? That’s your call. If it’s too low it may create bubbles and make a splashing sound as it spills into the pump area. I think volume is king so I try for 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch below the middle or last chamber so there is a tiny little waterfall but it’s minimal. This will keep your skimmer compartment water level constant.

On one hand as others have stated, this means that it will be a minute (or days) before I realize the ATO isn’t functioning when I hear the pump suck air…but I’d rather have the time than the quick alert as I’m busy, travel, etc. The whole thing is negated by adding a “low” sensor to my apex below the ATO. As for salinity swings? It probably won’t cause any salinity swings in 95% of tanks with standards sumps. The return chamber volume just isn’t enough to cause any harm.

Other considerations: If there is an overflow drain issue and it’s clogged, all the water in your return chamber will be returning to your tank. Make sure your tank can handle that extra water without overflowing.

It’s really personal preference.

Top Shelf Aquatics

p1u5h13r4m24

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why should the return chamber where the pump is ever end up without water? I have an ato which automatically gets filled up with TDS 0 twice a week.
Sometimes when I do a water change or I’m acclimating new fish I turn off my ato and forget to turn it back on. Next day my tank is gurgling.
if my return level was higher that gurgling wouldn’t happen for a few days which mean my ato was off for a few days and my salinity level would probably be 1.028 rather than 1.025. I just like keeping it low because I’m forgetful:)

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

p1u5h13r4m24

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why should the return chamber where the pump is ever end up without water? I have an ato which automatically gets filled up with TDS 0 twice a week.
Also I do my water changes I. The display. I refill my water back into the display. Another way to measure it this way is. Shut off the tank and let the water naturally settle from the display to the overflow down to the sump. Siphon out your water. Then refil ur display tank slowly until the water starts to go back down the overflow. At this point you now added back the same amount you just took out.
just another way to add back the same amount that you take out.

OP
OP
B

Bent17

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing is with my reef mat. It keeps gurgling as water level is low for it. I ended up "un hooking" from the glass and resting it on a rock. I know not ideal but if I dont lower it, it makes a loud gurgling noise.. do you guys have the same issue?

OP
OP
B

Bent17

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took photos of the reefmat hanging over the glass and one where I dropped it on a stone. When I dropped it the gurgling sound stopped which makes me think level is too low?

Attachments

• 20230219_185958.jpg
    20230219_185958.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 20230219_190010.jpg
    20230219_190010.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 39
BRS

mike550

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first chamber (mech filter) is fixed based upon filter sock height. Second chamber is set for the height that works for my skimmer. The baffle for the last chamber is set like @p1u5h13r4m24 where the return pump is submerged a few inches. That said it’s lower than second chamber so it waterfalls into the bubble trap before entering the last chamber.

Probably more important is to make sure your sump can hold whatever water returns to the sump when your return pump is off

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back