Help with Salt mix needed

ReefOC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, I'm have been slowly assembling a used RedSea Reefer 750XXL Classic (yes I have read all about the horror stories) which is a 200 gallon system. I finally got to the point where I was mixing my RO/DI water with a newly ordered blue 200gallon bag of RedSea salt I bought from Bulk Reef Supply. When I opened the shipping box, I noticed that the bag was open on one side, but wasn't blatantly visible until I started looking for a way to open the bag without dumping all over the place. I started carefully measuring the salt into my first 55 gallons of RO/DI water, where I put 27.5 cups in as recommended here on Reef2Reef. Once I mixed it an put it in the tank, then I learned about just putting the RO/DI line in my tank to fill it directly and to mix the rest of my salt. I measured another 50 cups (all the rest) in the bag for 77.5 total cups. I don't have a salinity checker yet (coming in next week), but isn't that 22.5 cups short of what is supposed to be in the bag? I sent a message to BRS and RedSea, but want all you who are experienced to let me know if this is normal or not. I have to wait until Monday.

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely measure the salinity, but I would say its a safe bet you got screwed based on the open bag observation. People do some really sketchy things. I once received a couple new T5 bulbs that were obviously used when I opened the box. My guess is someone ordered the bulbs then returned them with their used ones after replacing. Free light bulbs for some prick out there. Maybe free salt for someone else in your case.

OP
OP
ReefOC

ReefOC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely measure the salinity, but I would say its a safe bet you got screwed based on the open bag observation. People do some really sketchy things. I once received a couple new T5 bulbs that were obviously used when I opened the box. My guess is someone ordered the bulbs then returned them with their used ones after replacing. Free light bulbs for some prick out there. Maybe free salt for someone else in your case.
Thank you! That's what I thought. I am really disappointed at this point, as I got a bag of sand from them too that was opened and the live sand was dry and dead. I doubt that BRS is paying attention to the quality of their products now that I have gotten two totally different products that were open. Now I have to wait again until Monday for them to respond and probably days for a new bag.

EricR

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting -- never even thought about this before.
I buy Fritz RPM blue box (200 gallon) that comes with 4x clear, plastic bags of salt (for 50 gallons each) just twist tied at the top.

I've never once weighed any of the bags or paid attention to how many cups I actually get out of them.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back