Help with Reefmat install

ShanksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Waterbox Infinia Frag 155.5. It’s the newer edition with the removable filter sock holder. Right now I’m just running media cups with filter floss because I hate cleaning socks. I want to install a Reefmat. Can someone please help me conceptualize how to install it in my sump? I know I can just hang it where the first back chamber flows into the filter sock chamber but seems that wouldn’t be as effective since a lot of the water would flow to the sides of it. Any help is greatly appreciated!

OP
OP
ShanksReef

ShanksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reef mat comes with a 1 inch hose you connect directly to the drain pipe PVC. Water does not just waterfall into it from the top if that’s what you were envisioning.
Ahhhh okay. Yeah that’s what I was thinking as my only experience with a filter roller was my IM 15 Nuvo with the drop in roller. So will I not have any water going in to that back reservoir then? Sorry I don’t know why I’m struggling so much to try and picture this haha. I keep most of my bio media in that chamber so that’s why I ask.

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhhh okay. Yeah that’s what I was thinking as my only experience with a filter roller was my IM 15 Nuvo with the drop in roller. So will I not have any water going in to that back reservoir then? Sorry I don’t know why I’m struggling so much to try and picture this haha. I keep most of my bio media in that chamber so that’s why I ask.
Thats correct, no water will go to the back. Some people remove the divider completely to open it up. I have a herbie overflow and my secondary drain runs at a trickle which still goes into that back chamber. Here is my setup for visualization. I have a basement sump so a lot more space to work with, but you get the idea.

I ended up leaving my drain connected to that back chamber and put in a valve and a tee. By opening that valve, I can bypass the reefmat for maintenance without turning off the return pump.

I also had to cut a hole in the second chamber divider in order to connect the drain to the reef mat because it wouldn’t fit down through the same opening as the reef mat in the first chamber.

IMG_4879.jpeg

IMG_5434.jpeg

OP
OP
ShanksReef

ShanksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats correct, no water will go to the back. Some people remove the divider completely to open it up. I have a herbie overflow and my secondary drain runs at a trickle which still goes into that back chamber. Here is my setup for visualization. I have a basement sump so a lot more space to work with, but you get the idea.

I ended up leaving my drain connected to that back chamber and put in a valve and a tee. By opening that valve, I can bypass the reefmat for maintenance without turning off the return pump.

I also had to cut a hole in the second chamber divider in order to connect the drain to the reef mat because it wouldn’t fit down through the same opening as the reef mat in the first chamber.

IMG_4879.jpeg

IMG_5434.jpeg
Awesome. That helps a ton! I really appreciate it!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back