Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph is result of your co2 and alk levels. It also changes throughout the day/night cycle in the vast majority of systems so is 7.8 your average/low/high?

Increased aeration can often help increase ph. However it can at times lower ph as well. Depends on level of co2 in tank amd in the air in your room. Using co2 scrubbers, outside air, recirculating skimmer air and combinations of those things can often increase ph.

Again for starters though you need to figure out what your daily low/high swing in ph is and whether you want to limit the swing and/or increase ph at all points in day

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So pretty much my ph reads at around 7.8 and I’d like to raise those levels, I have a very succeful refugium and my dkh reads at 10, what could be the problem/ solution here?
More surface agitation, skimmer, open a window, if dosing for alk use soda ash to raise Ph

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
B

BaileysTank

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph is result of your co2 and alk levels. It also changes throughout the day/night cycle in the vast majority of systems so is 7.8 your average/low/high?

Increased aeration can often help increase ph. However it can at times lower ph as well. Depends on level of co2 in tank amd in the air in your room. Using co2 scrubbers, outside air, recirculating skimmer air and combinations of those things can often increase ph.

Again for starters though you need to figure out what your daily low/high swing in ph is and whether you want to limit the swing and/or increase ph at all points in day
When dose there tend to be low and high swings, like during the day is it high and night low or vise versa?

OP
OP
B

BaileysTank

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More surface agitation, skimmer, open a window, if dosing for alk use soda ash to raise Ph
I have a spare wave maker, if I threw that into my refugium would that work (I’d point it twords the surface to agitate it of course)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So pretty much my ph reads at around 7.8 and I’d like to raise those levels, I have a very succeful refugium and my dkh reads at 10, what could be the problem/ solution here?
What is the reason you want to increase the pH?

AquaCave Logo Banner

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When dose there tend to be low and high swings, like during the day is it high and night low or vise versa?

Generally speaking it is highest at the end of your peak light cycle and lowest as lights first come on.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a spare wave maker, if I threw that into my refugium would that work (I’d point it twords the surface to agitate it of course)
Wave maker in the fuge will get tangled with algae...

World Wide Corals

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read some of the info in the sticky posts and other threads in this forum. If you don't understand the basics of when pH rises and falls, and what that might mean for your tank, this is a good time to look up some of that info.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking it is highest at the end of your peak light cycle and lowest as lights first come on.
Unless you're running the fuge light on the opposite cycle of your tank lights...

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
B

BaileysTank

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read some of the info in the sticky posts and other threads in this forum. If you don't understand the basics of when pH rises and falls, and what that might mean for your tank, this is a good time to look up some of that info.
I did look up how it rises and falls but didn’t fully understand how it was affected by my fuge light witch gose opposite the cycle of my display lights

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral growth
Is the coral not growing now?

The reason I ask is because it seems like you're new to the hobby and it's important to learn not to chase numbers. If your Alk is already at 10, you don't want it to go much higher...

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you're running the fuge light on the opposite cycle of your tank lights...

As i said "generally speaking".... However generally speaking the answer is the same as a reverse lit refugium normally just helps limit the swing but normally the peak tank light period is still the high point.

AquaCave Logo Banner

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did look up how it rises and falls but didn’t fully understand how it was affected by my fuge light witch gose opposite the cycle of my display lights
Oxygen production is a main factor. So if the lights are on and algae, coral, etc are photosynthesizing, then oxygen is being produced which raises pH

*Correction: photosynthesis REDUCES carbon dioxide (oxygen is produced as a byproduct); carbon dioxide lowers pH.

Last edited:

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the coral not growing now?

The reason I ask is because it seems like you're new to the hobby and it's important to learn not to chase numbers. If your Alk is already at 10, you don't want it to go much higher...

Alk going higher is not a requirement to increase ph

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oxygen production is a main factor. So if the lights are on and algae, coral, etc are photosynthesizing, then oxygen is being produced which raises pH

Oxygen has ZERO to do with PH. Assume you mean consuming co2 and produces oxygen, but oxygen level itself is not a factor of ph.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are able to maintain steady photosynthesis throughout a 24 hour cycle, then pH shouldn't fluctuate much.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk going higher is not a requirement to increase ph
No, but I wanted to point out the relationship so the OP understands there might be unintended consequences of raising pH.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

www.Riptideaquaculture.com
Back