+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I recently set up a smaller SW-tank (15gal) after 10 years of absence from the sw-hobby. I started with dry rock and live sand, added bottled bacteria and ghost feeding it every now and then. I started getting ammonia that after a while dropped and I started getting nitrites and after another while the nitrite levels started dropping aswell. Waited until nitrites was in the 0-range and had readings on nitrates.Then I added some snails because it had grown some algae on the rocks and glass.

The thing I'm a little confused about are the parameters. As I said earlier the cycle was done and the tank did great for a while but now I'm getting a pretty strong reading at nitrites, can't really tell the color but somewhere between 2-4 at saliferts tests and can't trust the nitrate reading for that reason. 0 ammonia.

Two out of 4 astraeas died within the first 24 hours and the other one died after a couple of days and now one of them are left but just sitting in its shell and won't eat or move and has been sitting like that for a week, but it is alive.
The nassarius snails dug themself down in the sand immidiately after being added and didn't see them at all until today, both of them came ontop of the sand and startet flipping around and sliming for a while and now just sits still.

The hermits are not as active as I'm used to, but they at least move around a little from time to time.

I hope that someone can help me or give me some advice, I don't really know what to do.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
N

Nordin

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the nassarius snails re-bury at night? Are you supplementing the snails with any food? It sounds like something is off in your tank (snails shouldn't be perishing that quickly).

No they did not, they still ontop of the sand, and sometimes flipping around. I did some testing today and these are the results. ( didn't test nitrate since I had nitrite readings) I have been following "Lassemetoden" and also talked to him a little about this problem I have and it should not be any problems. But something is clearly upsetting my snails.
I also have a GSP and Torch euphyllia that isn't happy at all.

1.025 sg.
PH 8.2,
Alkalinity 8dKH.
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 2ppm
Nitrate -
Phosphate 0 or very low

I'm using RODI for topups and to mix salt with. RO 2TDS and with DI 0 TDS.

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No they did not, they still ontop of the sand, and sometimes flipping around. I did some testing today and these are the results. ( didn't test nitrate since I had nitrite readings) I have been following "Lassemetoden" and also talked to him a little about this problem I have and it should not be any problems. But something is clearly upsetting my snails.
I also have a GSP and Torch euphyllia that isn't happy at all.

1.025 sg.
PH 8.2,
Alkalinity 8dKH.
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 2ppm
Nitrate -
Phosphate 0 or very low

I'm using RODI for topups and to mix salt with. RO 2TDS and with DI 0 TDS.
Nassarius can be religiously counted on to bury every night, so if they're not something is definitely amiss. The only thing I see amiss is your nitrites (high). Any idea what your nitrate level is? I assume you're no longer ghost feeding? No fish - just the corals and inverts, yes?

OP
OP
N

Nordin

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nassarius can be religiously counted on to bury every night, so if they're not something is definitely amiss. The only thing I see amiss is your nitrites (high). Any idea what your nitrate level is? I assume you're no longer ghost feeding? No fish - just the corals and inverts, yes?

I have two nassarius and both of them spent the night ontop of the sand. But they are still alive, when I poke them they move. I don't have any fish right now, sadly. The tank is small and my lfs was out of the fish I wanted last time I was there so I ghost feed at the moment, just a few flakes every now and then.

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two nassarius and both of them spent the night ontop of the sand. But they are still alive, when I poke them they move. I don't have any fish right now, sadly. The tank is small and my lfs was out of the fish I wanted last time I was there so I ghost feed at the moment, just a few flakes every now and then.
Try a 1/4 sheet of seaweed (nori) rubber-banded to a rock once a week. Remove at the end of the day if they haven't devoured it. I'd stop ghost feeding (including flakes).

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
N

Nordin

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a 1/4 sheet of seaweed (nori) rubber-banded to a rock once a week. Remove at the end of the day if they haven't devoured it. I'd stop ghost feeding (including flakes).
I will try that! Must try find myself some Nori I guess . OK, wouldn’t all the beneficial bacteria die without something to feed from?

very grumpy corals. Sorry for the bad quality pictures but these two was so happy and good looking late last week and now looks like they’re about to die any second.

Attachments

• 9B68633F-1B5A-41F5-94E5-012710830941.jpeg
    9B68633F-1B5A-41F5-94E5-012710830941.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 3
  • C7DB3EF9-E896-4BF3-A563-38FD31925688.jpeg
    C7DB3EF9-E896-4BF3-A563-38FD31925688.jpeg
    169.5 KB · Views: 3
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Black Label Aquatics
Back