Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am moving on Feb 26th (relocating for work about 50 miles), movers are coming packing and picking up all of my belongings. I don't get the keys to my new place until March 1st, leaving me without options to store my nano reef tank for 3 days.

1. I've never had to move a reef tank; any suggestions on how to move the rock/coral/livestock? I was thinking storage bins and buckets, w/ an air pump for the livestock.
2. 3 days storage...will this be too long, and am I risking killing coral/livestock? In that case, should I sell off my coral/livestock and start fresh?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be possible to leave the tank in the old place until the 1st? Maybe pay for a few days additional rent (assuming it’s a rental)?
50 miles is not very far if you were able to come back and break the tank down and move it.
If you do resort to leaving your livestock in buckets/bins, don’t forget heaters.

OP
OP
Reefing Reefer

Reefing Reefer

If you build it, reefs will come
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be possible to leave the tank in the old place until the 1st? Maybe pay for a few days additional rent (assuming it’s a rental)?
50 miles is not very far if you were able to come back and break the tank down and move it.
If you do resort to leaving your livestock in buckets/bins, don’t forget heatersI
I extended my resident in my current apartment to that Saturday, but the leasing company for the apartment complex is strict (and not too happy with me breaking the lease) - so they aren't budging.

I was thinking bins w/ heater and a sponge filter - not sure if I should attach my light or if the fish and coral will be fine with the lid cracked open.

OP
OP
Reefing Reefer

Reefing Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish and corals should be fine without light for a FEW days. They get transported in the dark before they arrive at the fish store.
I think you’ll be fine!
Follow up, Will my sand bed lose it’s beneficial bacteria - I’m assuming I’ll be fine with the live rock, but I’m worried I might have to recycle the tank?

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow up, Will my sand bed lose it’s beneficial bacteria - I’m assuming I’ll be fine with the live rock, but I’m worried I might have to recycle the tank?
I just checked your build thread. Looks like your tank has been up and running long enough to establish a good beneficial bacteria load in your sand bed and live rock.
Hopefully someone else will chime in with an answer to this.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I extended my resident in my current apartment to that Saturday, but the leasing company for the apartment complex is strict (and not too happy with me breaking the lease) - so they aren't budging.

I was thinking bins w/ heater and a sponge filter - not sure if I should attach my light or if the fish and coral will be fine with the lid cracked open.
If you’re going to use a sponge filter, put it in the running tank ASAP to seed it. Not super important if you’re going to put it in with live sand and rock, but it will only help.

duesmortem

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also wondering about these questions. I am going to move in a few months but how should I actually transfer all of my livestock and bacteria? I have read threads that recommend cycling the new tank months in advance so that the sand bed specifically has time to build up more bacteria so that there is no deadly cycle once the livestock and rocks are added.

OP
OP
Reefing Reefer

Reefing Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, tomorrow is the day! This is my first time moving a reef tank - wish me luck.

Attachments

• A30F6DB0-4D86-4E8F-AA2D-92E0F15548BA.jpeg
    A30F6DB0-4D86-4E8F-AA2D-92E0F15548BA.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 8F9E6C40-59A8-4873-9CCD-95DD8423D1F8.jpeg
    8F9E6C40-59A8-4873-9CCD-95DD8423D1F8.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 48

smoleral

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worst case scenario when you can't move the tank into a new house yet but have to move out of your current, I've seen people rent air-conditioned storage units that have power supplies and move their tanks/bins with livestock in them for a couple days until they can get the tank moved into the house. It might be an expensive option but it beats accidentally killing thousands of dollars in livestock. Or if you have a nice friend that would let you move the livestock/tank into their house temporarily. As far as moving tanks go, there's not too many ways to do it other than breaking it all down into bins. Keep in mind if you have a nano tank you can take the rocks out and drain it down to just a few inches of water, and leave all the fish in the tank. This usually makes the tank light enough to carry, and the fish will usually be fine with just a few inches of water for a couple hours as long as you are careful. Hold on to the old tank water in buckets and just fill it back up when you get everything to the new location. I've done this with tanks as big as 30 gallons with no casualties. The tank will still be a little heavy so make sure you have a couple strong friends to help you, but often times this beats chasing fish around with a net and having multiple bins of fish and corals to haul around.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Lizamichelle1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be moving mine temporarily to get new flooring, at some point. I will figure a way to just lighten the load to “slide” across the floor. Definitely empty the sump and probably remove as must water as possible from the tank. Hoping to NOT have to take the live stock out.

Attachments

• E54A960A-157F-4702-9C59-A86DDA6DC60E.jpeg
    E54A960A-157F-4702-9C59-A86DDA6DC60E.jpeg
    289.2 KB · Views: 34
  • D2132152-827F-4084-A405-D8C25BE9F5F7.jpeg
    D2132152-827F-4084-A405-D8C25BE9F5F7.jpeg
    225.9 KB · Views: 35

ariellemermaid

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be moving mine temporarily to get new flooring, at some point. I will figure a way to just lighten the load to “slide” across the floor. Definitely empty the sump and probably remove as must water as possible from the tank. Hoping to NOT have to take the live stock out.
I just did this with a 40g. Drained the tank down to just a few inches and scooted it across the room by lifting a little weight from both sides. I was really worried about it not working but it went great; didn’t have to remove the rock either and just refilled the same water on the other side. However, the feet were on felt pads so I’m sure that helped a lot, but if you’re replacing the flooring leaving scratches shouldn’t be a problem.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
www.Riptideaquaculture.com
Back