Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the photo is basically hot garbage, but its the best I can do for the moment. This algae has been a persistent pain in the rear and nothing in the tank seems to go after it, including: tangs, turbo's, trochus's, hermits, or my urchin. It appears to come in looking like normal green hair algae, but quickly turns a dark brown and becomes very slimy. I have done multiple 4 day blackouts with no improvement, two separate reflux and chemiclean treatments with no improvement, removed all whites from lighting with no improvement. The algae has a reasonably strong foothold and takes a bit of effort to remove and does not seem to respond to lower nutrients either.

Phosphate is holding around.07ppm (ICP verified)
Nitrates have been at 6-9ppm for 6 months (ICP verified)
Silicates/Silicon 0-RODI and 127.8 µg/l in the tank.
Turf Scrubber running 12 hours a day growing the same nasty algae that's in the tank but hasn't made a dent in the crap in the tank.

tank .jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Edgecrusher28

Edgecrusher28

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upon further research I found an interesting mention in Julian Sprung's book about Bryopsis algae. It mentioned that there are less common species of Bryopsis which DO NOT have the fern like structure or the pennate features. Furthermore, these species visually resemble GHA more so than other fern like Bryopsis species, which would make sense given all of the issues I have been having with this unknown algae. Where I struggled with the ID was that fact that I have ran Fluconazole treatments before with no success, but as I have recently found out. Certain Bryopsis species are more resilient to these treatment that others species and can even release toxins with allelopathic effects. Perhaps this the issues behind my mysterious zoa troubles since the turf scrubber is filled with this type of algae.

Figured I would share what I found for those who may be interested, I am running a double strength dose of Fluconazole treatment currently; hope it works.

Top Shelf Aquatics
Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
SR
Back