Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a Kalk reactor to dose saturated lime water to my tank. I would like to use a dosing pump to push water from my top off reservoir through the reactor and into the tank. I currently have it hooked up to a BRS dosing pump and it won’t push the water through. I know there aren’t any clogs because I have seen water move through all the individual parts and hoses separately with either the dosing pump or a syringe. The BRS pump is only 1.1ml/min. Would I be better off with a faster flow rate? Is there something that I’m missing that could be causing an airlock or something else that is inhibiting flow? See images below for my setup. The pink line is for the Kalk reactor. I used yellow arrows to indicate flow direction. The end that goes to the tank is open and above the water line. Both the inputs and output lines on the reactor are below the water line inside the box. I’m stumped.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
M

Myxini

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
35340608-9FA4-4806-9EAD-7F26E0E2E4BF.jpeg

Gedxin

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow 'xin' fan. 1.1ml/min is really slow for kalk, you'll almost certainly need more or have to run it constantly (which the BRS pumps aren't rated for.) Labels would help on your image. it looks like your kalk reservoir is lower than the line to your sump?

OP
OP
M

Myxini

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water level in the Kalk reservoir is actually higher than the water line in the sump. But I think flow rate and line pressure is the issue. I used the small top off pump to push water through and it worked. And leaked all around the little push to fit bulk heads. Anyone have a recommendation for a dosing pump that’s got a high enough flow rate for Kalk?

@Gedxin, you’re totally right that the BRS pump has too low a flow rate for this. I was hoping to test the setup before buying another pump. I already had the BRS one laying around. Oh well…

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
World Wide Corals
Back