Help with cyano and GHA

the_flyingdutchman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

I got my first set up off FB marketplace a couple months ago. Previous owner had it running for 1 year. I’ve been battling GHA and Cyano and need some guidance.

Alk- 8.5
Cal- 420ppm
Mag- 1200ppm
Nitrate- 10
Phosphate: 0

I’ve been doing a 10g water change once or twice a week. Stocked with a maroon clown, 3 cardinals, a lawnmower blenny, 5 nassarius snails, 2 turbos, 3 hermits, 2 nems, lps, and softies

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please post a picture in white light, and tell us what size the tank is.

Green hair is best suited for manual removal and possibly treatment of rocks outside of the tank with peroxide.

Getting an established system takes time and effort, lots of folks can probably explain and encourage you ?

OP
OP
T

the_flyingdutchman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please post a picture in white light, and tell us what size the tank is.

Green hair is best suited for manual removal and possibly treatment of rocks outside of the tank with peroxide.

Getting an established system takes time and effort, lots of folks can probably explain and encourage you ?
IMG_5386.jpeg

Hope this picture is good enough. What are the steps to treat with peroxide? I currently do a 10g water change once a week and take a turkey baster to the rocks every couple days, but cyano keeps coming back. Are 0 phosphates an issue?

alfieohalfie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As annoying as it can be, stay proactive. Don’t dose chemicals or additives. Manual removal and patience is key. I went through a few ugly phases before things started working itself out. I’m still battling Dino’s, which after about a month of weekly water changes and elbow grease. It’s finally getting better. It sucks but if you’re that bent about it. Then do what you will with chemicals. But I’m getting scolded by my reef mentors to not freak out. Scrub it with a brush and siphon: repeat, and let the tank do its thing.

Canned55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using for flow?
Do you know what your pod population is like?

Both of these things should help with the cyano, but for the green hair algae manual removal is best like KrisReef said.

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we need more info to help you. Can you show a full tank pic so we can have a idea of what it is? We need info on the flow, the lighting, what is the tank size? How much do you feed? Need more info...

OP
OP
T

the_flyingdutchman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we need more info to help you. Can you show a full tank pic so we can have an idea of what it is? We need info on the flow, the lighting, what is the tank size? How much do you feed? Need more info...
I’ll post a full tank shot when I get home! It is a 65g long tank with a 10g sump. For flow there is an mp40 set at like 65% power and flow from the return pump. Lighting is 2 AI primes set to the saxby setting. I feed 3/4 a cube of spirulina brine shrimp once a day

What are you using for flow?
Do you know what your pod population is like?

Both of these things should help with the cyano, but for the green hair algae manual removal is best like KrisReef said.
Flow is an mp40 on like 60% and the return pump for my 65 gallon long. I thought there was enough flow but maybe not. No noticeable pod population, any specific type you suggest I get. I was also told I could definitely beef up my clean up crew

Canned55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll post a full tank shot when I get home! It is a 65g long tank with a 10g sump. For flow there is an mp40 set at like 65% power and flow from the return pump. Lighting is 2 AI primes set to the saxby setting. I feed 3/4 a cube of spirulina brine shrimp once a day

Flow is an mp40 on like 60% and the return pump for my 65 gallon long. I thought there was enough flow but maybe not. No noticeable pod population, any specific type you suggest I get. I was also told I could definitely beef up my clean up crew
I would just get a cheap powerhead and use the mp40 to get that random flow. You can normally buy a mix to seed your tank at a LFS. You could also get it from steele’s pods.

Thread 'LIVE BENTHIC COPEPODS'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/live-benthic-copepods.1070752/

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back